Mahonri's First Annual New Year's Day Hatch/Jan 2010

Quote:
Over all, I think the HovaBator is a pretty descent bator. You just get comfortable with it. Not the problems the the Little giant people have.

Anyway, for oxygen purposes .... on the bottom of the styrofoam bators, there are about 12 tiny holes. You may not even have noticed they are there. Then, on top are two 1/2 inch vent holes (sometimes with a red plug in them). These are the areas that need to be open during lockdown and hatch. Priority is oxygen!

You can add water through a tube (aquarium tubing $2.), straw, turkey baster, etc, through these holes. Actually, I made 2 more hole in the corners on top, for tube placement. Then, I use an old (picnic) ketchp container to squirt water into the tubing, or use an old discarded 30cc syringe. It really isn't that hard. Just gotta add water and watch it. Of course, as each chick hatches, they are wet, and that will increase the humidity, too. That's ok, as it will drop back down. (I used to worry about that .... no worry now.)

Quote:
They are very small on the bottom. Little bigger than pin holes. Have you ever had water leak out the bottom? That's how I first discovered them!

There may only be 1 vent hole on top (with red plug?), then is there another one where the wiring ,etc is located? I assumed all the HovaBators had the 2 holes/vents on the top. Sorry, if I was misleading.

Mahonri, kathy is right in that there are a bunch of little holes all along the outside bottom edge of the 1588 hova. The single red plug you have you do not need to remove (at least I have never had to). The fan will circulate the air for you (which is where the 2nd hole is located on top). That vent is just for adjusting humidity if necessary in that model.

Hehe..don't go fussing with it now. lol I only remove the plug if the hatch finished (to allow for faster drying) or if it gets too wet during hatch (water droplets on the window). Otherwise, I don't touch it. Wishing you a wonderful hatch!

Yes, 65 sounds good for lockdown. That's where I try to get mine anyways.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom