Maiden mare with leaking udders

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickluvinfreak, Jul 3, 2016.

1. chickluvinfreak

chickluvinfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi my 16+ year old mare recently started getting a discharge on her udders. Today I scraped it off only for them to start leaking and I can almost milk it out of her. I have never bred her in the past 4 years I have owned her so she isn't pregnant. A few weeks ago she got some bad misqito bites and 1 udder was bitten and swollen. All the other bug bites went away except the swollen udder. I'm worried it could be related. Can mares really get mastitis fom bug bites? I read that mare sometimes lactate when in heat, I don't know if she is in heat though. But this is the first time it's happened. I would like to call the vet but would feel stupid if it's just because she's in heat.
    Thanks for any help

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Does the discharge look like milk? How does the udder feel? I'm wondering if she has a case of mastitis.

3. chickluvinfreak

Its not milk more of a cloudy liquid. And one side of udder is hard and swollen. What donesnt make since is that's it's not hot or painful. Like if it were infected. If it takes more than a week to clear up then it couldn't be because she's in heat. I'm not sure if I want to wait a week to call the vet though. She's healthy otherwise and I will check her temp tomorrow morning just in case.

4. redguinea

redguinea Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2015
    Land down under
    If it was masitis it would be swollen, hot and painful. If she is letting you touch her its a good sign. Im not sure what it could be but if its swollen its better to milk her/get the discharge out.

5. chickluvinfreak

Thanks, I'll try to drain/milk some of the fluid out tomorrow. If it's no better by Friday I will call the vet. It's just bizzare, I thought that stuff only happened with pregnant mares. But apparently not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by