Maiden Rock Bantams

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by JohnGalt, Feb 1, 2011.

1. HaikuHeritageFarm

HaikuHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    Interesting little birds. I knew the comb and blue egg genes were closely tied together, but am surprised to hear about the color patterns also being on the same chromosome.

Can you describe this in more detail?

This bird you've created is very close to my vision and goal with a LF project someday, except I have a fondness for beards and muffs. [​IMG]

2. Golden Acre

Golden Acre Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2010
    Lena,Wisconsin
    They are gorgeus [​IMG] do you have any pictures of there eggs? I'm curious about how big and blue they are.

3. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Galt's Gulch

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  4. JohnGalt

Apr 23, 2010
    Galt's Gulch

5. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    How many Maiden Rock bantams exist?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  6. JohnGalt

Apr 23, 2010
    Galt's Gulch

7. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:Ryan,

I hatch at least 200 of each color pattern of maiden rock each summer. I winter over a flock of only about fifty. The size of my ‘maiden rock’ flock depends on the time of year – ranging between 50 and 500. But, in answer to your question, I must admit that at this time I only have a handful of birds that live up to the standards that I imagine they will all one day meet.

Thanks,
    Dan

Do you eat the culls? because of the Araucana in them, do they have the broad Araucana type breast?

8. JohnGalt

Apr 23, 2010
    Galt's Gulch

9. JohnGalt

Apr 23, 2010
    Galt's Gulch

10. HaikuHeritageFarm

HaikuHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    You are, I believe, one of the very few people I have seen refer to the utility qualities of your bantams.

I have honestly never considered bantams before now, always being a fan of the economics of the larger birds. (Or rather, the economics as I saw them.) But when I started looking into quail due to current space limitations, I thought perhaps it would be worthwhile to look into bantams, first.

It seems your bantys lay well, and I do recall you referring to their dress out somewhere. Can you expand on these qualities? Do you think bantams are a good solution for the small city homestead?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by