Maidencreek Pennsylvania

I live in a small neighborhood with a couple other neighborhoods around me. My yard is only about 1/2 acre but i was really only going to get 1 or 2 seramas. Here is the ordiance i found for my township on keeping and maintaining pets....which my chickens will be. www.ecode.com/6352265 i am not sure if this applies to chickens, but i hope so.

Funny I should find a local person on here with similar issues! I live 5 miles outside of Fleetwood in Rockland Township. We are rural and have just over 1 acre of land. We are not in an organized subdivision or development and have no deed restrictions. I emailed the township and was sent a copy of afew pages of the ordinances that pertain to LIVESTOCK and POULTRY. According to Rockland, one must have over 3 acres to have 1000 lbs of livestock (that's ALOT of chickens, by the way!)....ok, fine. But i don't want 50 chickens, I only want a hand full. So she refers me to LTL in Oley, who is the contractor who enforces codes for our township. I call the guy. He tells me he has to take the ordinances at black and white value, which is we cannot have chickens because we don't have 3 acres. OK...so I say, how comes cities and towns all over the country allow afew chickens for personal egg consumption, but I live in a rural location surrounded by farms and fields, yet I cannot? He said he realized Rockland Township is behind the times. I said, well, can I go to a meeting to see if this can be changed? He said it costs the township money to change the ordinances. Hmmmmm. Then he says. We don't patrol Rockland Township looking for violations. The only way we would know you have them is if your neighbors complained. Then he continued to say that there are plenty of neighborhoods than cannot get along without animals even being involved. Well, my neighbor's are Mennonite...so not only will they not care, they will probably get them as well and at least help us care for ours when we go away! So....in our case....I think it's better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission....if you know what I mean! I'm not sure where you are in Maidencreek, but pulling this off in a new home development might not be the smartest unless you keep your coop incognito and make super friends with your neighbors.
smile.png
If you are rural like us....I say just go for it! We are now researching coop designs and trying to figure out what we will do come spring! My kids are super excited!

Malissa

I live in a small neighborhood so i would probably be caught. I still don't understand though, why can't residential folks in my township have no hens at all, i mean what harm could a couple small hens do?

I haven't checked in for a while. How's things going in Maidencreek? Did you decide to buck the system? We are in the throws of building our coop. We have 6 chicks on order from Oley Valley Feed and expect them the first week of May. Needless to say, we are estatic! The kids are looking forward to planting a garden for the chickens so we have tasty treats to offer them. Not worried about getting caught as our Mennonite neighbors are cool with the chickens. The people on the other side of us can't see through the brush line between us so they will have no clue. The lady 2 doors down just died and she was the one I was most worried about, especially if we let the girls out for a bit when we are supervising them. I'm sure if you decide to go through with your plans and find an 'incognito' coop design, you will be fine. Sometimes it's better to plead ignorance that to ask permission. :)

I'm in Maxatawny Township/Kutztown and I didn't have any trouble with chickens. The bigger issue was getting a zoning permit for the coop. The guy at the township office basically told me that technically we should get one, but if the coop isn't near a property line "I....would have no way of even knowing it's there."

I know lots of folks in Oley, Blandon and the area have birds wandering around, as I see them as I drive past the more rural areas. When in doubt, check with the township office and keep a low profile (no roos!)

Hey guys. We didn't get a permit for our coop! ((If we aren't allowed to have chickens, I certainly don't want to alert them that we are building a coop! )) :) Our 6 chicks are now 4 weeks old and we definitely have one roo. Our immediate neighbors are fine with that...and to quote, he said....I love the sound of a rooster. (now these are the Mennonite neighbors). The other neighbors are separated by a brush line, so hoping that helps shield things. Well, I hear a rooster crowing at a farm over the hill....so I can't imagine that anyone will figure out where it's even coming from. I keep telling little Lila he needs to keep quite! ;) We'll see if he listens! So far, he's still peeping with the rest of the gang. We just finished our coop today and tonight is their first night sleeping out. I peeked in and they are all huddled together in a corner. They had a busy day exploring out there, so I'm sure they are pooped out! PS...I did post pics of our coop on the coop building threads so check it out. It is not visible from the road and is in fact right under my bedroom window.

Back
Top Bottom