Mail Order chicks arrive - almost all are dead! Help!

Hummer

Songster
14 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Greetings to all from Georgia. Just registered to this forum. I am feeling really sad right now. I ordered 14 chicks from Ideal Hatchery. They arrived today, all dead but 4. Out of the 4 that are alive only two look like they are fine - one of the other two is close to death and the other is real iffy. I am not sure about the conditions in which they were shipped.... They were suppose to have been hatched yesterday and arrived at the post office this afternoon - but spent at least two hours in the back of a closed mail truck - which probably would have been like an oven today. I am broken about it. I am a 45 year old Mother and I still cry like a baby over things like this. I am wondering if I should even attempt to get Ideal to replace the chicks - I certainly don't want anymore to die on account of my ordering them! I am going to call the post office where they first arrived to see what the condition of the chicks was at that time and then go from there to try to determine what went wrong. It has been years since I ordered chicks through the mail - but only lost a couple when I did - one shipment I received was 100% fine. If there is anyone out there ordering this time of year from Texas to Georgia or a similar location - I'd like to know if you have had the same problems, due to possibly the heat....? Maybe this is not really a good time of year to be ordering mail order chicks - even though the hatchery has them available.... Thanks for any input. Sad in Georgia

Last edited by Hummer (Today 8:00 pm)

Sorry to hear. I too am in Georgia. What town do you live in? I live in Newnan and I have ordered many times from Ideal. I never had any problems although the post office called early in the morning and I went to pick them up soon after. I would call Ideal and let them know what happened. Chances are they will replace them.

Contact Ideal immediately. They will replace your chicks. Have your post office call you when they come in and go to the post office to pick them up. They should never sit in a postal truck.

Ideal WILL replace them. I've ordered from them several times and I have been extremely happy with them.

I'm so sorry that you lost your chicks.

HUGSSSSSSSSSSSS

Laurie

That sucks! Sorry for your loss.
sad.png
I've only ever ordered from Cackle and Murray McMurray but I think that both have intrusions on the box for the postmaster to call you when they arrive at the post office. Ideal should definitely replace them and, just as added insurance, I'd be sure to let your post office know when they were coming. Don't feel bad...it wasn't your fault.

Just out of curiosity, what breed did you order? My barred rocks from Ideal were very healthy, but my easter eggers were not as spry and I lost 1 out of 2. If you don't want more shipped, Ideal WILL refund your money.

Call Ideal immediately. They will replace your chicks.
Be proactive.
We just ordered 10 started pullets 18 weeks old. Only 2 were delivered today. 1 with a broken foot!!! It was 110+ today and the other 8 are probably cooked by now sitting in some post office somewhere.
I am ticked that the post office skrewed up and told them this today in no uncertain terms when I got the district manager on the phone. Did not say anything to our local po since they had nothing to do with this.
In no uncertain terms I asked him to provide me with a tracking number and he could not do this or even refer me to anyone who could. More ticked!!!
I told him that no wonder you people are BROKE!!! I would be to if I ran my business this way. No one even CARES TO BE RESPONSIBLE since your jobs are secured by a union and the gov. Told him I would personally fire his arse and take pleasure in doing it if he worked for me.
This was the last straw, since we have had several other shipments/checks from customers/mail thru the usps that were otherwise lost, stolen or destroyed in the last few years.
The hatchery told me this afternoon that my purchase was guaranteed and not to worry, but all the plans we had on quarantine/etc have to be re worked due to pure incompetence.
If the usps were an actual "business" they would have gone out of business/been bought out on the cheap by another more competent business/sold piece meal long ago.

i am expecting a shipment of 12 jersey giants from ideal friday or saturday.... they were also shipped on wednesday... i called the PO today to let them know i am expecting them and to call as soon as they get there... i wil let you know what happens when i get them... i am nervous as it has been really hot also here in ky...

Most of my birds have come from Ideal. I live in Florida and have ordered late in the fall so I was concerned about the chicks getting to cold. I only lost one chick the next day. I just ordered chicks from Townline Hatchery in Zeeland, Michigan and all arrived in great shape. They were shipped on a monday and I picked them up at the Post Office on Wednesday afternoon. They are nearly two weeks old now. I gave them some vitamins and electrolytes in their water and medicated Chick Starter crumbles right away.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom