Mail order chicks

dbergman1126

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 12, 2013
Virginia
Has anyone ever used mail order chicks?? I need to rebuild my flock as last week a fox or some critter got 10 out of 22 my chickies and I want to replace the ones that were eaten....anywho I'm new to this and mail order is something I have looked into but not sure and does anyone have a certain hatchery they can recommend.....thanx in advance

I used My Pet Chicken and had no issues with them. They were very good about changing my delivery date when I had a death in the family right before they were going to ship my chicks.

Although I purchased mine locally many at BYC mail order their chicks. Look at our sponsor page. I'm sure they are all reputable hatcheries. McMurray seems to be the most popular.

Thanx for the advice I have heard about McMurrays and that several people I have spoke with use them or have used them in the past thanx again

Martha Stewart uses Murray McMurray and it is one of the largest, older hatcheries. I have purchased chicks from MyPetChicken, sexed ducklings from Metzer Farms, goslings from Ideal Poultry (because it was too late in the year for Metzee to have the breed I wanted), and a friend has received chicks from Meyer Hatchery and shared them with me.

All good experiences. Healthy stock.

I use Ideal and have had positive results. Usually I recommend people buy from a reputable hatchery as close to them as possible. Ideal is in my state.

I got mine from Hoover Hatchery & am very pleased. Their prices are much less than other hatcheries & all were very healthy. I also had 100% correct sexing on my order of 23 pullets & 2 cockerals.Plus, they were shipped on a Wed & I got them the next day.

I got my chicks from meyer hatchery they ship on mon and wed so no weekend
holdover. Mine all came next day (two orders) and all in good shape

good luck with your new chicks

I ordered from Hoffman Hatchery and my chicks are healthy and all showed up doing fine. Shipped on a Monday, received on Wednesday morning. They are a small family farm run operation and I was VERY happy. The post office sent them to the wrong post office, so when I called the hatchery they called right back concerned about where the chicks were. Very good experience! They are in Penn.

The chicks are two weeks and a day from hatch and have full wing feathers, tail started, and body feathers starting...all are sleeping through the night with no light, as it is summer and adjusted well with NO problems!

I ordered 15 BR pullets and they have a 90 percent rate of being right. I have 12-13 pullets and a couple cockerels, which I do want!

Good Luck with your order!!!

Back
Top Bottom