Mailing hatching eggs- the secret?

This was a big thing quite a few years back (marking live embryos on the package). I never noticed any improvement in hatch rates on eggs I received marked like this.

I know someone else was doing a test several years ago by putting hatching eggs in a chick shipping box to see if they arrived any better. I don't recall ever hearing final results on it though.

I typically only write "handle with care" and "fragile" and sometimes "perishable" or "do not freeze" during very cold weather. and folks get up to 100% hatch from my eggs.

I got some today in the morning mail that were sent in a flat rate box and marked EGGS, no fragile, handle with care or nothing!! lol Needless to say quite a few scrambled
wink.png
:-(

Last edited:
I got a box of eggs today that I picked up at the post office. I paid for Special Handling and the box was marked Special Handling, and it looks like someone kicked the bottom side of the box. I ended up having 1 crushed egg, and I am waiting to candle them after they rest a bit to see if the air cells are scrambled. Needless to say, I WON'T be paying for Special Handling again. In fact this is the worst condition I have had a box arrive.
roll.png

I have been told by several PO friends (from across the country) that some workers do take pleasure in drop kicking or throwing fragile boxes.
roll.png
somad.gif
I certainly have had my share of scrambled eggs and damaged boxes and lousy hatches from shipped eggs. I think it is truly luck who comes in contact with ones package.

Let's get 20/20 to do an expose.
tongue.png

My postal workers are the best! I drop off my eggs at two different locations, depending on if I am shipping lives too.

I am also on a first name basis with the distribution center here in Spokane and let me tell you, they are very careful with my eggs and my lives.

I think alot of the secret is the employees that handle the packages. I have noticed there are certain areas where my packages arrive in poor shape and others where I have been told they look like they were hand walked all the way to the other person's door.

O had a dozen black copper marans eggs shipped a few years ago. None were broken, but candling by day 14 showed either infertile or ruptured air sac.

great tip, I met with our local postmaster when I started my hobby hatchery to find out all the things they do and the best way to do things. We use a huge red marker and write LIVE on all 4 sides of our boxes.

Back
Top Bottom