Maine

Charlie -the bearded one in the back. She is wild! She snuck right out between my husbands legs and he had to chase her thru the woods!!!!

Tubster is a very sweet, calm, beautiful green , blue, and purple shimmery feathers.

She was too busy searching for treats to pose!!!

Coyotes just came through and killed my entire flock.
Kinsey, I am so sorry to hear about your flock! I would be worried too if I had small children!

I lost my little BCM roo yesterday. I have no idea what got him but I think it could have been a coon. I found the body 4 feet from the coop. All the girls were hiding. 4 were under a shelf in the coop. DH & I headed for the woods looking for all the others. I came back and found the rest of the girls hiding in the shrubbery & under the coop.

My hubby is totally embarrassed by my scavenging nature, but at least I'm easily amused!!!!
Hey LG, My DH is also embarassed by my scavenging but I can't help it. I AM my father's daughter. My dad never met a junkpile he didn't like.
big_smile.png

First Egg! One of my White Leghorns--Charity--how apropos.
wee.gif

Congrats on the egg, mlowen!! My white leghorns are laying those bigguns too.

Kinsey, I am so sorry to hear about your flock! I would be worried too if I had small children!

I lost my little BCM roo yesterday. I have no idea what got him but I think it could have been a coon. I found the body 4 feet from the coop. All the girls were hiding. 4 were under a shelf in the coop. DH & I headed for the woods looking for all the others. I came back and found the rest of the girls hiding in the shrubbery & under the coop.

Hey LG, My DH is also embarassed by my scavenging but I can't help it. I AM my father's daughter. My dad never met a junkpile he didn't like.
big_smile.png

Congrats on the egg, mlowen!! My white leghorns are laying those bigguns too.

I've started going to the dump by myself. Then I don't have to make excuses for driving REAL SLOW by the burn pile. I saw some nice plywood today, but didn't bring it home as spring projects are a while away, and I may re-think my plan a dozen times between now and spring. Also don't want to rock the boat too much by storing stuff through the winter. Also looking for a mini fridge in decent condition. That would make an AWESOME incubator. I plan to put up a notice at the dump to offer to collect BAGGED leaves. That will keep all of the collections local, the leaves will be pre-bagged, and I can just store them until needed for my DL in the lower level of the coop. The dump used to keep some HUGE compost piles, but no longer able to due to space limitations. So very sad for me!!!
sad.png

Our dump is now "no picking". They also closed what we use to call the free store. It was a place where you could put yard sale leftovers, etc for people to take what they could use. It's a shame that the town thought it was too "dirty". We can't all wear 3 piece suits and drink imported espresso at work.

Gosh I love this cooler weather. I do love the summer heat but it is so nice when it changes over. Can't wait to head up to camp near Acadia this weekend :) I have never had the popovers at jordan pond so that is on the list. Cannot wait to have a nice wood fire and no tv or internet.

It seems like this time of year goes too fast. My new batch of chickens are not laying yet and the older ones are being very lazy so I have been forced to disappoint my few egg customers!

I did get 25 lbs of apples from my little mongrel tree the other day. I made apple butter. So good but such a PITA! I wish I had a cider press for the rest of the apples.

Almost time for the three huge turkeys to go to freezer camp. I am secretly really looking forward to them being gone!

Gosh I love this cooler weather. I do love the summer heat but it is so nice when it changes over. Can't wait to head up to camp near Acadia this weekend :) I have never had the popovers at jordan pond so that is on the list. Cannot wait to have a nice wood fire and no tv or internet. 

It seems like this time of year goes too fast. My new batch of chickens are not laying yet and the older ones are being very lazy so I have been forced to disappoint my few egg customers!

I did get 25 lbs of apples from my little mongrel tree the other day. I made apple butter. So good but such a PITA! I wish I had a cider press for the rest of the apples. 

Almost time for the three huge turkeys to go to freezer camp. I am secretly really looking forward to them being gone! 
I'm collecting Apple's on Tuesday when my mom comes by (I have a four rung limit on the ladder lol). I did pick up the dropsies for the birds though.

Back
Top Bottom