Maine

Just wondering how many eggs everyone is getting? I have 17 girls in our maine coop and a few in what I call the multi coop( a shed that has been turned into 5 smaller coops). The girls went through a molt and we were getting nothing. Then we started getting 2-4 eggs a day. Now we are back to nothing. Not to mention my Easter eggers are not laying either. Actually they haven't been laying for a very long time. All my girls are just over a year old. Any ideas?. I'm pretty sure that this cold weather is affecting them, but to get no eggs seems odd. They get some scraps as well as fermented feed.
I'm getting 5/7. One is brooding and the other non-layer will be two in May. I'm not sure if her age is a factor, but she hasn't laid since November and I think she's going through a hard molt now even though she had a mini molt in the fall.

The weather's been tough for us, as humans.  Imagine what it's like to the birds? Constant snow, below zero, then a week (or more) with warm temps and rain, back now to below zero temps.  Just give em some time to establish a routine again and you'll have more eggs than you can eat.  That's my $.02

I agree. It's been nuts with this weather. I just wish it would warm up some since I am officially out of eggs to eat! We usually do end up with more than we can eat in the warm months. I do feel bad for them, poor babies outside all day. They go in and out of the coop and I have put plastics up around the run so it blocks the wind at chicken level.

I'm getting 5/7. One is brooding and the other non-layer will be two in May. I'm not sure if her age is a factor, but she hasn't laid since November and I think she's going through a hard molt now even though she had a mini molt in the fall.

I've got some silkies that are broody right now. I did give one of them some eggs but this weather hasn't helped with hatching. I think I'm down to 1 possible egg to hatch. I just wish it would warm back up some. I'm not really looking forward to spring, I'm going to have a lot of repairs to do.

Another quick question, I've noticed that some people use hay in their coops. What type of hay do you use and where can I get some. Is it warmer than shavings? What are the pros and cons of using hay? Okay, I guess that was more than one question. :D

Another quick question, I've noticed that some people use hay in their coops. What type of hay do you use and where can I get some. Is it warmer than shavings? What are the pros and cons of using hay? Okay, I guess that was more than one question.
big_smile.png
I use hay because there is a farm right down the road from me. I get a bail for 3 dollars and it's a nice heavy bale without many weeds/seeds. I'm not sure if it's warmer than shavings but I would think so. I know that wood has no insulation value. I like hay because it smells good, the girls do eat some of it, they like to make nests with it, it makes decent traction if thrown on ice, easy to compost the hay mixed with their droppings, it's easy to move around. Sometimes when I clean the coop I just throw the refuse right on the garden. The only con I can think of is, you need to make sure your hay isn't seed/weed laden or you could end up with all sorts of weeds in your garden! And you don't want to pay too much for it. I believe either blue seal or tractor supply wanted 9 dollars a bale!

Good eating hay costs about 5$ here but I get mine for about 3$. I avoid hay and straw on account of not wanting mites but its so cold, and I didn't have them to start with so here's taking a risk and hoping. I don't know that wood doesn't have an insulation value. Anything under your feet or butt when its cold helps hence putting rushes down on the floors in castles where carpets were not afforded and rugs for those areas of the house where you rest your feet or walk. I used the leaves this year to start out with and found they lasted a lot longer than I expected. I am back to shavings and hay now. The waterfowl in particular want the hay to build nests out of... although they are still another few weeks from getting to that. Maybe around Valentines day. I wonder if sending them all little pastel candy hearts that say "I <3 eggs" would get them going faster?

My leghorns are the ones who insist on kicking most of the shavings out of the nesting boxes. I've been using shredded newspaper to supplement the shavings in the boxes.
I did the same thing last year to recycle shredded paper from work. I thought it was great- until mud mixed with the shredded paper and I'd have to take a manicure set to the coop to break off mud balls from toenails. Even with grit spread like gravel and deep litter started the mud would be found and the shredded paper held it together on their toes. Never had that issue before the paper and it stopped when I left the free nesting material at work. Hope it works out better for you than it did for me!:)

I now have 2 layers!!!! DH saw our roo with a different chicken yesterday and voila 2 eggs!!! Sooooo exciting! !!! 2 down and 3 to go!!!! Its like Xmas lol!!!!!

To the ones who posted about no eggs since November; could it be the light factor? I read they need 12-14 hrs a day of light to make eggs. The days are getting longer now. Thank God. I think thats why they are starting to perk up and some are laying at least every other day. Its a thought anyway. Supposed to warm up this weekend. Something to look forward to!

Back
Top Bottom