Maine

thanks for the in put. I bought them as a mix 'bag' of layers. So I wasn't sure what the breeds were when I got them... I'd like to think that the feed store didn't give me a meat bird when I ordered layers... but you never know. I've posted pics in the past and most people thought they were cornish hens!!
barnie.gif
which certainly surprised me! I'll just have to wait and see what they do.
idunno.gif
they are super sweet birds, I really love them. So I hope they don't have a heart attack on me!
smile.png
Thanks again for the encouragement!

What color are your cornish birds, gstone? If they are white and very big, you have the Cornish X meat bird. If they are blackish, they are Dark Cornish. We have a few Dark Cornish that we are growing for meat, but they are much more like a regular chicken (not super fast growing or prone to a heart attack).
Good luck with the new coop!

Robin

Yes, I've been told they are dark cornish, that's right. They are dark brown - feathers almost greenish at certain angle. Very sweet birds. There are so many different breeds, and I've read so much about different breeds, I get confused. They are dark cornish - or so I've been told.
smile.png

Last edited:
At one time I was looking at possible showing chicken ! Found a link to a local club that meets in Washington grange hall.
Would any one have a link to this club, and when there next meet is?

Just mailed in my membership form to the Central Maine Bird Fancier group. I'm not sure we'll really be interested in showing our chickens, but my 9 year old son really enjoyed seeing the chickens with ribbons at the Union Fair, so I figured it's worth it so maybe we can learn about it for him. Our chickens are just over 6 weeks old, so it will be next year anyway.

Ok went to the Windsor fair. Walked into the poultry barn to see these giant buff basket balls with legs. Man I thought I was growing some nice looking birds till I saw these. Was just wondering beside blood line and good understanding of breeding what do you feed these girls and gal to grow so large.

I am also planning on joining Central Maine Bird Fanciers as a family membership.

To all the winners and shower hats off to you. good showing.

I think it is mostly blood lines. Once you see birds like that, you understand why some people are so down on big commercial hatcheries, they just don't seem to breed for size.

What other chickens of note were there? I saw a Partridge Chantecler at one of the chicken shows at Windsor fairgrounds a year or two ago, but was unable to figure out who it belonged to. I wonder if the same people are still showing Partridge Chanteclers in central Maine.

Back
Top Bottom