Maine

During the "wild ice storm" we were without power for 13 days. This storm, we lost power 2.5 days. Not too bad. I had my Dad and step mom come stay with us. They thought they could ride out their 3 day power outage with no source of heat or ability to cook. He's 92 years old. My big fear is that there are a lot of elderly and kids who are at similar risk... thinking that enough blankets will make it ok. They have little understanding about how hypothermia can sneak up on you. Still a lot of damage on near by roads. One such road near me has downed lines and trees leaning across taught lines, hanging down, making the road barely passable. I drove over 3 downed lines yesterday. My animals and yard did surprisingly well, though the tree line behind my coops, and shop are full of widow makers, and lots of trees uprooted, leaning against each other. It will be a night mare to clean up. Not my land, but hubby and I have been managing it a bit to "keep it safe".

We never lost power, which is really unusual. Our poor neighbor had a tree fall across his power line, so they are the only people on our road with an outage. I imagine they will be close to last on the list. They do have a generator though. It was still running this morning.

Any good chicken owners in need of some nice-looking roosters for pets/flock guarding? I have 3 young red barnyard mix roosters, and a couple of polish/houdan mix roosters someone may want for fertilization of same breeds (black and white). $5 each, or a trade for a young egg-layer. To good home with free-range of yard daily (what they are used to); not for meat. Located about 15 minutes from Augusta.

Last call for a free BE cockerel (if he goes to live in a flock) and 2 BE pullets. I also have 2 - 3 hens who are less than 2 years old. These gals will be wintered over for an other season, or I will sell them to reduce winter flock size.

The BE is a big boy and has a beautiful pea comb. More black feathers on his chest than I want, and he has a single white feather in his black tail. He would bring some good body size and excellent pea comb genetics into a flock.

Pm for location and prices on pullets/hens.

Well we were without power for about 3 1/2 days. Lost a small amount of food from fridge and freezer but not much since we kept Freezers off limits. went out and bought a generator. getting ready for someone to come and help hook it up to main house power box. Didn't get more wind damage from this storm at least as far as roof goes.
My yard is still a total wreck. With coming off double Hernia Surgery and now my 10 month old daughter is now walking and trying to climb everything can't get anything done.
One of my Black Australorp hens at least has just started a heavy molt. Poor little Jyn looks like she has the mange with her entire saddle area bare right now. Sadly my EE's have completely stopped laying and that only leaves 2 Australorps laying occassionally. I did g ive the remaining 3 Babies I hatched away to wife's aunt who is thrilled to maybe have colored eggs. Still trying to get rid of my spare EE rooster and my Ameraucana throw off rooster. May have to put them into the dinner pot but hate to get rid of a great roo and another nice roo that has a killer blue egg gene.
We have a small stray black kitten that has apparently decided the chickens are it's family. last year we had a litter running around and most if not all of those got ran over. Really upsetting that people don't take care of their animals. Since I've not seen a grown cat around I think someone is dumping their kittens here. Since this one is black and the last 2 or 3 that got ran over looked similar. someone appears to be using dumping as birth control rather than getting their cat fixed.
Can't catch the kitten but it's got shelter and is probably eating chicken food or the scraps I throw out for them. Wish I could catch it but we have one cat and 4 dogs. Another in the mix would drive the wife and me up the wall.

Set a live trap with some cat food or tuna. Though barn cat is not necessarily a bad thing.
Hey, Lazy Gardner! It's been a LONG time! I see the rooster you got from me is still on your profile picture. How's everything going? I've got only Silkies, right now-8 of them & my oldest hen, Nellie (2.5 years old) is sitting on 4 eggs. She's gone broody every other month for the past 2 years. She's a great surrogate mom!

Back at ya, DG.

I was thinking of you the other day! We pass through your town at least every other week. All is going well, though per diem hours are few and far in between.

Flock is too big. Jack is doing well. However, this spring will most likely be his last breeding season. It will be the end of an era for sure. His replacement: Goliath, a massive Buck Eye cockerel, shares the flock with Jack. Goliath is much bigger than Jack, and runs, squealing like a little girl, when ever Jack looks at him. Sooner or later, Goliath is going to figure out that he can whup Jack's heiney.

Back
Top Bottom