Maine

I know the rats are around, but they're not getting in (due to excessive hardware cloth lining under the dirt floor of the coop). Three times now, we've had a lone rat get trapped inside during the fall, when the doors are left wide open all day, but it appears all of them are living outside now. We also had a breach, but patching seems to be working.

We poisoned the mice wreaking havoc in our pantry, but one died in the wall. :sick

It looks like we finished our winterizing chores in the nick of time. I'm looking forward to Friday's snow. Mainly to provide a cover over the current ankle-breaking crust! I feel bad for the chickens that are still molting.

Can't wait for next Sunday. The dog has been really upset, between the early onset of dark and hunting season, we haven't gone into the woods to track in a long time. Even wearing blaze orange... just don't trust people to not be morons.

Ha! That is a funny image. It has been a cold weekend.
The tarps around the run are now up and snow tires are on, - mostly due to DH's efforts. It looks like a little snow is coming tomorrow, and then more serious snow on Friday.
Got some nice tarps from Amazon. Clear and wrapped them tightly. Have not insulated coop area. I have 4 106 degree heaters in a 24x12 in coop. I check my Buff and my NH Red crowns every night before bed and about 6:30 in the AM. No problems. I did put a little bit of felt weather stripping around side door to outside. Other than that they seems to be fine. I live in New Portland. About 20 miles north of Farmington. Banked my tarp with snow so the wind won't blow into the run.

I also feed scratch and meal worms just before bed. To fill the crop. Digesting food keeps them warm too. If I see any hint of frostbite I'll slather on the Bag Balm.

WindingRoad,
Consider not heating your birds. You'll save money on electricity, and if/when you lose power your birds will not plunge down in temperature severely. My birds acclimate to the weather during the fall, and even when they're molting and it's cold, they do fine. I have never, ever lost one to the cold. Frostbite is also reduced when you don't heat because the air can't hold as much moisture when it's cold.
Obviously it is up to you and it's a personal decision, but I wanted to put it out there.

WindingRoad,
Consider not heating your birds. You'll save money on electricity, and if/when you lose power your birds will not plunge down in temperature severely. My birds acclimate to the weather during the fall, and even when they're molting and it's cold, they do fine. I have never, ever lost one to the cold. Frostbite is also reduced when you don't heat because the air can't hold as much moisture when it's cold.
Obviously it is up to you and it's a personal decision, but I wanted to put it out there.
LOL I'm not heating my birds. Where did you get that idea. Oh I see the 106 degree heaters. One is named Sally the other Bert. They are about 2 years old. LOL. My nosey neighbor hasn't caught on either. 106 is the average body temp of chickens.

As for frostbite. I'm not worried about that either. Below zero a few nights ago. Combs warm at fist light check.

Sorry to try and fool you. I'm an old farm girl. Really old and very farmy Oh and my coop is well ventilated.
I was wondering when someone would notice the 106 degree heaters.

I'm in Maine also. I was born here. Mainah through and through. Born in Farmington. I live in New Portland Somerset County. And I have bag balm at the first sign of frostbite. I was a little worried when winter set in so early. Maybe not enough time to adjust to the cold. My Buff and NHR are about 19 months old. They went through last winter ( not with me) without much housing. But they didn't molt this fall. Kinda glad they didn't what with the moving of winter by Mother Nature.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom