Maine

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by chickenboy, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Clover Run

Clover Run Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Central Maine
    The laying flock ventured out in the snow yesterday.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gracejr

gracejr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Maine
    My Coop
    Mine wouldn't step foot outside yesterday, or the day before, even after I shoveled for them! Big babies. :rolleyes:

Most of them are out today though, now they they have a section of their run that is snow-free. My two white rocks are now covered in mud from rolling around.

Really wish the weekend forecast would change, snow would be a LOT nicer than rain! Seems like it's been forever since we've had a white Christmas around here.

3. ejcimd

ejcimd Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Maine
    Right now if it were to get really cold I could have everyone over for a skating party. My back yard is flooded. Conveniently near the bonfire so... Urmmm yeah but instead we'd all be wet and cranky with the chickens thinking their people had lost their minds.

4. Mainechick168

Mainechick168 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    Maine
    Mine stayed in over the past few days, but they got out today! It was so funny to watch them walking on the shoveled paths.... I hear you on the mud! my white rocks are brown now!!

5. buckabucka

buckabucka Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    I haven't been home much, but I know my chickens are staying in the coop, despite a very dry covered run. The water in the run is full, and the coop water is empty. I never see that any other time of year. Apparently, mine don't even like to look at snow. :rolleyes:

6. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    loaded the incubator (again)
    hopefully will have lots of paint silkie chicks for new years and the week after. then I will have to start thinking about hatching LF for spring swaps. [​IMG]

7. CoopChick719

CoopChick719 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Maine
    My white sizzle has a black stripe down her front from the mud. The white cochins stay in the coop for the most part.

8. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    To get my birds out of the coop I put good food for them out in a rubber bucket. I put a couple cups of their pellets, some corn, flax seeds and sun flower seeds, and then add (hot) water to make it moist. They get whatever leftovers we don't want, too. Fridge clean out day is always an epic breakfast for them. Most are excited to get up and go outside and eat. It might work for some of you to get them out of the coop.

Also, I find that just shoveling the snow isn't enough, I put down a small bit of hay (and sometimes sprinkle scratch in it) right outside the pop door, and sometimes throw shavings out from the coop if it's really icy/snowy. That also helps soak up some of the water/mud when spring thaw hits.

Just a thought.

I do have some chickens that refuse to come out of the coop all winter, and that's ok. But most do come out.

9. buckabucka

buckabucka Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    The flock with the coop and run will definitely come out in the run for treats, and we rarely try to entice them out of the run in the winter.

The other flock in the hoop coop, I'd like to see venture out, just because it is rather confined for 2 roosters. We tried throwing scratch on the packed snow/ice for the hoop coop flock, but they just looked at it from the door. The black feed dish might be key..... They know it means treats. And I could toss some leaves over the snowy areas. I'll be able to try this soon, as vacation hits in just 9 hours! WOOHOO!!! :)

10. Mainechick168

Mainechick168 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    Maine
    Bucka, I've been counting down the days until vacation for awhile now! thanks for the remvgbnvbinder! I don't work many hours right now ( because of full time school) but a whole week off will be wonderful!

It's snowing here this morning- I wish it would stay snow, but I know it's supposed to turn to rain. [​IMG]

OH haha, the world didn't end!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by