Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by chickenboy, Mar 16, 2007.

1. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    Love Johnnies too... but have been a loyal fan of Fedco Seeds for years, also a Maine company, but prices much lower and many of the same varieties, good seed count and quality. Have you ever tried All Red potatoes? I can't get them any more but they're awesome, pink flesh, red skin. May try amaranth this year as a protein grain and green and for birds and family.
  2. gracejr

gracejr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    My Coop
    LazyG, they have all reds at high mowing seeds. Just got my catalog from there last week. They have all blue as well, which look pretty neat. This will be my first year doing a garden, I always mean to but it never happens for one reason or another. I am determined to make it happen this time. Everything is organic seed, no GMO, and a good selection of heirloom varieties as well.
  3. joanie_maine

joanie_maine Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    Temple, ME
    Wow! Thanks for the info, Hoppy.

I'll make sure to go post that on the page!

4. buckabucka

buckabucka Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop

Trying to catch up on posts. The best part of winter is sitting by the fire with seed and poultry catalogs. I change my mind everyday, but right now I plan to hatch my own Basque, lavender Ameraucanas (both in small numbers), and olive eggers. I might also do Exchequer leghorn and Welsummer eggs, but not until at least late March.
  5. buckabucka

buckabucka Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop

I'm also a loyal Fedco fan, although I love the glossy Johnny's catalog and usually buy a few odds and ends that Fedco doesn't offer (like the Islander pepper). My favorite potato is Carola, but we grow others too.

We have a tradition here. Seed order involves a bottle of good red wine (used to be candlelight, but we got too old to see the catalog well). We both read the catalogs in advance, and then we "argue" for our own selections. After a couple glasses of wine, we ended up ordering everything and adding a few peculiar things too :D .

I start all my own seedlings and often toss the extras. Maybe I should finally attend a swap this year.

I'm glad Mainechick mentioned the lettuce. I should try that when I start my onions in February. I can put them out in the hoop house once the seedlings get going. Everything out there comes to life in late February.
  6. Mainechick168

Mainechick168 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012

Fedco is great to. I like their selection of apple trees. I always say I'm going to order some, but never get around to it.

My fave variety of potato are the red gold- red skin, gold flesh- they are super. They are not great for storage, but are great new potatoes.

SCG- this is good to know about the seedlings! I tend to start way more than I need.
  7. annabananaandfamily

annabananaandfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    I am so glad so many of you are doing seedlings because my green thumb isnt very green yet! The new house has a huge raised bed that needs some tlc and i will need all tje help i can get getting things to grow in it after that! I am totally inexperienced with the garden.
    Now i am so looking forward to swap seaspn!
  8. ashandvine

ashandvine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Western MA
    I can't believe how many people enjoy looking at he catalogs like I do. I thought I was weird. Wow. Fedco and Johnnies, yes yes. And purple potatoes and Amaranth- yes! Amaranth as a grain is a bit difficult for the birds from what I hear as the seeds are so small but the leaves are good for us and them and taste pretty good when small and alright when large. I put in rye and oats last year and lost them all to deer very near harvest. I was a little upset at that. I have a HUGE garden bed here. I am terrible at starting lettuce but admit that I grow nearly everything else without difficulty. I put red lettuce and nasturtiums in large decorative pots last year and that was a success. The chickens loved the nasturtiums more than I expected. We didn't eat too many for that reason. Of course they ate my radishes too and I didn't know they would do that either. I am going to try sprouting some scratch for them this winter. I just got some really nice scratch to try it with. I have heard that burlap is the best way to go.

Ducks... I like mine halved and deep fried at the oriental restaurant :) Very crispy skin and .... yum. I'd raise ducks if someone else would kill them. I don't do rabbits or ducks despite wanting to eat them. I'll clean and gut and skin anything dead already but the killing part has me done in. I have had to do it and hate it. I can process my chickens and push comes to starve I'll eat a squirrel but for now the killing of the ducks has bad memories for me. I better get over it too because someone has already told me they would buy any ducks I would sell them.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  9. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    having worked at johnny's in the ordering dept, get your order in early, somethings are out of stock by jan 1st.
    like the kaiki pumpkin the first 2 yrs (it's a pumpkin with no shell on the seeds- really yummy for roasting and no hassle eating.)
  10. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    Is anyone going to be selling any Marans this year? I've been looking for 2 years, and I still haven't gotten that lovely chocolate colored shell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by