Maine

I had hopes of breeding my cochins and breda until they got munched on. Now i am searching for some nice cochin hens and a breda roo. After losing so many chickens to predators, i have the opportunity to add some more new breeds. I am thinking i really love my jersey girl and would like to add a few nore of them to our flock, so if anyone has any i would love to hear from you! I have also tried a few times to add some color to my egg basket (if i ever get eggs again, that is) and would love some ee's.
I am really pushing to add some duckies this spring- either call or cayuga...or both.

I had hopes of breeding my cochins and breda until they got munched on. Now i am searching for some nice cochin hens and a breda roo. After losing so many chickens to predators, i have the opportunity to add some more new breeds. I am thinking i really love my jersey girl and would like to add a few nore of them to our flock, so if anyone has any i would love to hear from you! I have also tried a few times to add some color to my egg basket (if i ever get eggs again, that is) and would love some ee's.
I am really pushing to add some duckies this spring- either call or cayuga...or both.
Joannie in Maine has great cochins - both LF and Bantam - I have some bantams fro breeding but nothing avail. right now - maybe some chicks or hatching eggs later on - you can also go on her facebook page - Perfection Farm. I know she has a few incubators going right now.

I got 6 eggs today. My laying flock is staying inside the coop today with all this snow - which is a good amount of space for them - I am surprised they are laying with this weather. I have been researching about the cold and how we feel the need to provide heat etc. I am conflicted - I have cold hardy breeds and a lamp at the ready for my silkies. I have to say they are all doing great without any heat supplement so far. I add cracked corn and BOSS to the feed for heat. I am inclined to leave well enough alone unless we drop well below 0.
We are doing the deep litter method on the larger laying coop. We add a layer of lime and then a good amount of shavings - keeps it nice and clean. Will be a big clean out job for spring but much easier for the winter.
I am keeping the eggs for the incubator - I need to get another turner next week so I an load another one.

I think it would be cool to do an egg exchange - like a cookie exchange. Anyone game - we could meet in a central location and bring goodies and break up the cabin fever that is setting in already.

sound like a chicken swap- those will be starting back up march if it's warm
fl.gif
or april if it's not so warm.
I got my first 2 call duck eggs this morning
celebrate.gif
not that I plan to hatch them, but hey, they are laying!!!
I think it would be cool to do an egg exchange - like a cookie exchange. Anyone game - we could meet in a central location and bring goodies and break up the cabin fever that is setting in already.

You got those bantam barred rocks? Oh my son was so jealous. They are incredibly nice quality. I wish I had a truck I could have bid on that bird cage. We definitely wanted it.

That was a great looking cage. Yes, we have the barred rocks and they are just beautiful.

They were sold to me from a Sanford swap. I spoke to the man on the phone and he said they were blue IR. They are not. It is the second time someone thought they could trick me. I told him he didn't sell me the right bird and he got offended so I kept them and have not had good things to say about him since. Word of mouth still has some power. My gf down there picked them up for, as this was shortly after I moved, and she brought them up to the new house. They are alright. I like ducks. I don't like... tricksters. I am sure they will lay lots of nice eggs. I just have to satisfy bf's decree that the animals have to make money here. I fear I will lose most this way but if I pare things down to the one or two breeds I really want to work with then that might be kosher. I had hoped to sell eggs but there are so many people here already doing so. Its too bad. I have a lovely arrangement of colors. I was just missing the Marans and the OE... I have Marans now but still not OE. Or Langshan. But they are hard enough to get much less get good eggs out of so ... by the wayside. Did I mention that my Welsummers are laying very lovely speckled eggs? I really enjoy the many shapes and colors of the birds too.

Back
Top Bottom