Maine

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by chickenboy, Mar 16, 2007.

1. ashandvine

ashandvine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Western MA
    She needs an electric fence for it because it is a bird dog in its heart and marrow. Retriever. She is going to be receiving gifts that came from your yard! I like hoppy's advice. Someone in here has a quote: a dog in its owner's yard is a pet. A dog in your yard is a predator.
    My deep litter is... okay. Its ugly. I need to find a nice source for wood chips and sawdust instead of these shavings. Today is warm enough that I am bribing my son with green apples, prosciutto, dark chocolate and Fruit Ninja to clean one of the coops for me. We use a wide sheet rock mudding palette knife to scrape or scoop and kitchen gloves officially dubbed our "poop picking gloves." It goes into a poop bucket for the garden later. My wrist is so bad today, worse I think than its ever been. I called the office and they are closed and will be till Wed. So Ibuprofin AND Tylenol to the rescue I guess. Not much going on with me because of it.

So, our house has linguistic and potty humor often. Today we made up tongue twisters like:
    How much poop would a poop picker pick if a poop picker could pick poop.
    Then we added chucker instead of picker... it was good for a laugh here.
    You are the best! I have thought of this but never dared. OMG you are my hero today! Do you REALLY do this? Has the ACO ever talked to you? Do the neighbors??

2. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I found "deep litter" to be really damp, too. And it did start to have an odor once it got a bit beyond that damp phase. The first year I tried it it was damp and then it got cold and the whole thing froze into a sheet. It wasn't that bad I guess, but when I tried to get a cage out of there for cleaning, it was frozen to the ground and I bent it trying to get it out. I decided to clean the coop every few months and let it "deep litter" in my compost pile instead. Don't get me wrong, it gets disgusting, and starts to break down, but I'm never going to make chicken salad out of chicken poop in the coop.

I have got to go out soon and find and reinstall my gutters that blew off last night. But it just started to rain again, boohiss.

3. Mainechick168

Mainechick168 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    Maine
    My grandfather always went the bb gun route w/ dogs that should not be on his yard- he told the new neighbor ( after their dogs got loose and had a tussle with his mini dach.) not to worry, because if he saw them again, he's just shoot them a few times, and they wouldn't come back.

I got the coop cleaned out before the rain started...success!

also went to the grocery store, but they lost power for so long last night that they had NO meat or dairy...guess I'll have to try again tomorrow.

4. ashandvine

ashandvine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Western MA
    My father did this with the neighbors dog that used to scare us and threaten us all. He ended up sued. Don't do it.

Got our first duck egg!

5. buckabucka

buckabucka Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    I don't have a paint ball gun, but I like that idea a lot! Of course, I'd have to see the dog arrive and make sure I hit it, while racing to rescue any chickens.

It seemed quiet at the neighbors today, so I let the older flock out to free-range this morning. We have exposed grass in places and they really enjoyed it. While they were occupied, I raked out the run and sprinkled some DE and dry leaves, pretending that I was removing all the round worm eggs. It at least looks nice in there now.

The head Basque rooster bit my leg this morning in the hoop coop, and I had to flatten him and carry him around for a while. I was hoping he was just tired of being cooped up, so when the older flock returned to the run, I locked them up and put leaves in front of the hoop coop. I was able to entice the hoop flock outside. Normally, they are fenced in while outside, so it was their first free-ranging experience. They stayed together in a fairly tight unit, ignoring the rain for quite a while. I hope my rooster stops acting like a jerk, because I really wanted to breed him.

6. Mainechick168

Mainechick168 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    Maine

chicken salad out of chicken poop?!?![​IMG] ( prob. an innappropriate emoticon here....)

I was really hoping to have some poop for the garden...but what about all the hay? when I clean things out, i just dump it all in a pile out back...I don't have poop boards either....how do I get some good manure out of this situation?

7. buckabucka

buckabucka Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Can't you compost the big pile out back?

8. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    my neighbors know where I stand and they also, i think, are happier that I use paint balls then bullets on their dogs. I've never had a dog return that has been paint balled.

9. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    compost really well, make sure it gets really hot to kill the weed seeds, otherwise you will be saying all kinds of colorful things while you weed your garden this summer. I had more grass in my garden one year from the hay in the coop, never never again, burn baby burn!!! flip and burn some more.
    editting to clarify- the composting heats up and burns the hay by rotting and producing heat, no need to set actual fire to the pile. flipping the material every few months helps it cook more.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  10. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    If you're a lazy composter like me, it takes about 2 years to turn shavings and poop to compost in a pile. I turned it a few times this summer, but not many. I'm about 90% of the way to compost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by