Maine

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by chickenboy, Mar 16, 2007.

1. buckabucka

buckabucka Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    I kind of compost that way too. Once in a while, I'll get a nice balanced mix of things and it really heats up and composts quickly, but I usually have at least one pile with weeds growing out of it.

This year will be interesting, because the chickens are living directly on the garden. We'll pull them off as soon as possible in the spring. They are breaking down the leaves I've been throwing in there nicely.

2. Mainechick168

Mainechick168 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    Maine
    I most def. am a lazy composter. I just have a big pile. I can burn some of the hay? I don't want to cause a forest fire!

3. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    no,no, the composting burns it. the compost pile heats up in the middle as it sits and rots in other words, it's burning the hay by breaking it down. no need to set fire to it.

4. buckabucka

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Ha! I misunderstood that too! :lol:

5. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    I'll go back and edit that post to make it more clear- I'm having a bad night.

6. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I also read in Mother Earth News to use a dark bag and put leaves and stuff in it, vent it slightly and then leave it in the sun, it's supposed to compost quicker. Instead of having garbage bags all over the lawn, I bought a large, dark, plastic olive barrel two summers ago to compost weeds in. They actually rotted down pretty quickly and I'm still not sure I'd call it compost, but it's a start. I plan to throw a few bags of pooshavings in there soon and see what happens.

7. joanie_maine

joanie_maine Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    Temple, ME
    Instead of using shavings from my pens as a compost pile, I use them as "landfill".

The area beside and behind my barn is all brambles and weeds.

But as I have dumped wheelbarrows full of shavings on it and continued to work back toward the stone wall, the weeds have have slowed and the area gets packed down.

When the spread out pile gets hard enough, I weed wack it and finally use the lawnmower .

8. Gallina Sarda

Gallina Sarda Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Winterport, Maine
    :lol::lol: excellent idea to add the edit about not actually setting the compost afire! Some new gardeners might take you literally :D

9. Mainechick168

Mainechick168 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    Maine

I am aware of the heat created by the break down....haha I thought maybe you had come up with a faster way to do this!!

10. buckabucka

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop

I'm loving this compost discussion! Of course, I have questions..... Olive barrel? Where did you purchase this? We do have a dark plastic trash can (with cover), so maybe I can try that. Right now, it is full of other compost.

We tried to take control of our compost area last year. DH moved the giant tangled mess away, dug out some soil and put down sand with pavers on top in a big square. The square will hold 4 wooden compost bins, but we set up 3, with the extra area to stand and work.

It looked great for a while, but 2 of the bins grew giant weed tangles. Then I noticed the "active" bin was filling with sand. We found huge rat tunnels that went under the tile and came up into the compost. We put a bait station in the compost, but they wouldn't touch it. Eventually, DH went into mad scientist mode, putting propane into the holes. We really did have compost on fire, but we haven't seen any tunnels since.

I love the landfill idea, Joanie! We have a couple of landfill areas here, too. We're not actually trying to fix these areas up, it's more a dumping ground, but we're only dumping natural materials.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by