1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Maine

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by chickenboy, Mar 16, 2007.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    No, I'm not in the burn unit. I was proud to be one of the few serving our veterans today. The rat re-dug his (or her) holes yesterday. Operation De-Rat will begin shortly.

I tried kitty litter buckets. No one would touch them. I have a few old covered cat litter boxes, they enjoy those. Pictures of your eggies?

2. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    I use buckets for nestboxes for my bantams but my LF are too big for them.

I heard santas coming to night.... I hope so. my treadmill is dying. pretty good investment for $75 used 9 yrs. it's got a lot of miles on it.
    hoping I get a new one (or another used one) for christmas, otherwise I will be looking for one after christmas to treat myself.

3. ashandvine

ashandvine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Western MA
    Having LF, and mostly 'heritage' breeds, I wondered if the buckets would be small and how they would be attached into a unit instead of rolling around.

Santa didn't bring me an incubator. He thought snow boots for the kids would be a better idea. I agree... and waited till he left to pout. Guess I should just jenny rig my current bator and get golf balls.

The snow is beautiful. Baking and cleaning for ungrateful people is not :)

4. Mainechick168

Mainechick168 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    Maine
    we are all christmased out. I gave the chickens a some ricotta cheese as a treat today- they deserve it, I've been getting 4-5 eggs a day without any artificial light. good girls :)

5. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    good girls!!. ash, i know what you mean! take a big breath, it won't last forever.

6. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    You're making me regret not having kids more every minute! [​IMG]

7. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    I don't think she is referring just about the kids, if it's the kids at all. it's what comes with a partner.

8. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    My bucket nest boxes are screwed into a piece of wood in back that connects them, and that somehow connects to a piece of wood in front (I obviously didn't install them myself). My chickens seem to fit in them okay, but I don't like how rounded and slippery they are.

Even though my cooking was self-imposed, I am glad to have it behind me.

[​IMG]

I like to hand cut some of my frosted cookies. All the birds and chickens are handcut, many from negative spaces. I use the crinkly looking edges of the dough to make broccoli spears (so healthy!) and in the center you will see the moldy swiss cheese, which is a standard cookie I make. This is definitely not Martha Stewart-type baking, but they taste delicious!

9. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    now you are making me feel guilty I didn't make cookies for my parents/sisters etc. I'll be nice and make them some of my chocolate cake, I'll color the frosting green and call it christmas cake, [​IMG]

10. annabananaandfamily

annabananaandfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maine
    I made some lovely pumpkin whoopie pies and red velvet too for dessert today..unfortunately wenever got to enjoy them becuse my dog ate all of them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by