Maine

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by chickenboy, Mar 16, 2007.

1. buckabucka

buckabucka Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Oh, this would make me very angry.....

2. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    my dog is great like that for cutting calories. yup, he's a thief too.

3. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    I got a super cute chicken calender for christmas. somehow the chickens stole pictures off my computer and put together this lovely calender of all my very own "fashion model" birds. it's from the girls in coop (as apposed to boys in the hood)

4. Mainechick168

Mainechick168 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    Maine
    Bucka, the cookies look awesome! I just made candy and pie this year- I have a cookie press, and usually make tons of little cookies to frost and decorate....but I was not feeling it this time!

SCG, no kids here...I guess I could still change my mind, but at this point, it is a big no way. I'd rather have goats.

Hoppy, I got a chicken calender too...haha actually a rooster calender- my mom found it- it's paintings of rooster. She also got me a chicken butter dish, and I bought myself this super cute flour sack dish cloth with a hand printed chicken on it- it was made locally- I take a pic when it's clean again.....

5. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Great looking cookies! BF made a carrot cake yesterday since I wasn't feeling it.

Mainechick, do you have goats? I got 2 a few months ago and I'm shocked at how they can sound like a screaming infant (or, pack of screaming infants). I gotta make a decision soon about mating her. I found a couple people who would let me bring her by for a driveway mating, but the amount of screaming involved if I wasn't to bring her wether companion might not be worth it. Then there's traveling with 2 goats. On the other hand, then there's trying to pack a stinky buck into my car...

6. buckabucka

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    No kids here either (goat or human), and too late for the human kind. I have more than 500 kids at school, which is a plenty healthy dose for my taste.

I had the painted rooster calendar last year, and this year I got a flour sack towel with lots of little painted chickens, but my friend bought it in Vermont.

I am surprised that goats make so much noise. I've never had goats, so I would have guessed they are not particularly noisy. I don't like the sound of crying infants, although the goats are certainly cute with the sound turned off!

I am kind of excited about the pending snow storm. It is more exciting, I think, because I am on vacation. No dealing with snow in the dark, or rushing off to work. I can't wait to go snowshoeing!

7. ashandvine

ashandvine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Western MA
    My dog is great for creating messes which helps me burn calories when I have to do the aerobics of cleaning it all up. They are so supportive.

This sounds sweet of someone. I found some beautiful artwork on line by lots of folks but at this time of year I want to see flowers. Give me a good art or greenhouse calendar please!

Oh, aren't SO many things!!

Put some insulation in the little coop. One of the roosters had some white that didn't look nice on his comb-- not snow, looked like frostbite. I felt badly. So, bagbalm and some insulation. It is very mottly in there with all the feed bags and insulation. I hope chickens are color blind.

I had a realization this morning that was embarassing: I have a pet chicken. I did not mean to so don't rib me too hard. I try to be a hardankle like every good farmer should be... but its the one little banty here and she is just a DOLL. She's not quite show quality but when I couldn't find her anywhere this morning I got a reality check. My on left her out overnight. This is getting old. She was fine but hungry. She now has her own pen quickly made but equipped with its own feeding stations. Let's keep this little emotional indiscretion on this thread only, k?

And for those who were bugging me for pic lately...
    [​IMG]
    You cant see the color of the one on the right very well but its the duck egg. Near the bottom it isn't as washed out.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

My very handsome Tom.... .... and my very nice BR duo...

I have plenty of pics of other kinds of animals from the holiday but I have a rule against posting pics of the family online.

8. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Nice lookin' eggs there! The birds were a good choice.

I have to work til 2300 tonight, then get up at 0430 to do chores and get to work by 0700. I am keeping my fingers crossed this storm doesn't add too much headache to that. We're trying to get the goat house door on before I have to leave at 2 today. Not looking good. Stupid me wanted a dutch door which is causing more problems than it will probably be worth.

9. buckabucka

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    I love the eggs, ashandvine! Songbirds are perfect. I think I like all birds, even hawks, despite the problems they pose to the chickens.

I wanted to let my flocks out before the storm. One flock was finished, but I decided against letting the others out, as I saw my neighbor's new retriever bounding around their yard. One good thing, these neighbors are gone a lot in the summer to a camp up north, and I'm sure the dog will travel with them.

10. Mainechick168

Mainechick168 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    Maine
    I do not have goats :( I want nigerian dwarfs. Still working on the husband with this one....

Ash, the eggs look awesome!

I think all of my chickens are semi- pets. they come when called, and follow us everywhere...and have names.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by