Maine

Does anyone have any LF Brahmas in central Maine? I would prefer something not from the hatchery. I am still not sure what color I will go for. Thanks for any help.

Eric

I don't think the storm was as bad as they predicted, or at least we don't have 12 inches here, unless it all comes tonight. We got about 6 inches, hopefully enough to do some snowshoeing tomorrow!

Does anyone have any LF Brahmas in central Maine? I would prefer something not from the hatchery. I am still not sure what color I will go for. Thanks for any help. Eric

I don't know anyone breeding Brahmas here, but I really like my lone hatchery light Brahma. Mine is not very productive, but I don't know if that is typical. If I didn't care about eggs, I would love a whole flock of Brahmas in every color!

Yeah I really like the Brahmas but will keep some of my Rhode Reds to keep the eggs coming. They are tried and true for goods eggs thru winter.

I think you're all in the wrong state if you hate snow.....
Mars vs Venus?? The truth is that its the darkness I don't like and the infringement on my freedom. Good news is solstice has passed! I am in the right state for a lot of things, so I'll keep complaining about the one thing I really don't like. At least it isn't Montana or Michigan snow. Gads!
Does anyone have any LF Brahmas in central Maine? I would prefer something not from the hatchery. I am still not sure what color I will go for. Thanks for any help. Eric
Occasionally there are Brahmas at a swap but they are always hatchery. If you want to find local breeders of LF Brahmas you might try asking the CMBF club if they know someone or get into the Brahma or Heritage threads and ask them. Another thought is start where you can. If you can get hatchery and work your way up then do.

Last edited:
january 19 we will be up in Hallowell and i know there are a few bycers up in the augusta area. I am looking to replenish my flock- ee/amerasomething i always spell wrong, LF cochins (I have a gorgeous roo that needs some hens for the spring!), and the 2 long shots- jersey giants and breda. If anyone has any of these, shoot me a pm and hopefully we can work soemthig out!
Thank you, and now back to shoveling

Well, I like the snow, but it does have a few disadvantages with the hoop house. The hoop coop has a hard surface, so it is a little easier to clean off, but the hoop house I go inside and attack it with a broom. The ceiling is 10 feet at the peak, so it involves a lot of jumping and swinging of the broom, -a good shoulder workout, I suppose. The good part is I am still enjoying fresh salad greens!

Doesn't matter where one lives there is no perfect place. Who knows our complaining might make people think twice about moving here thereby keeping Maine a nice rural state with plenty of room for chickens.
smile.png

As for me I don't mind the cold and snow. I do mind struggling to keep warm in the dead of winter and removing the snow from my driveway. Plus there is the fun of driving in the stuff. Being on the road with morons who have no regard for the weather and road conditions and/or love to tailgate or pass me because I am going a few miles under the speed limit in treacherous conditions is a huge pet peeve. Four wheel drive does not mean you can still go 90 in a 50 on slippery roads.

Back
Top Bottom