Maine

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by chickenboy, Mar 16, 2007.

1. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    awesome bird paintings. That's on my bucket list... to paint... arty stuff, not just living room walls that are long over due.

2. CoopChick719

CoopChick719 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Maine
    My deep litter is very dry but does not seem to be breaking down like everything I've read. I do have only 6 birds so maybe that's why?

3. CoopChick719

CoopChick719 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Maine
    Mainechick--4-5 eggs a day w/no light...that's awesome!

Bucka--Great looking cookies!! I don't do any baking for the holidays so I admire those that do!

Hoppy--Your chickens sound very crafty! I bet the calendar looks great!

Ashandvine--Your eggs & your BR's are just beautiful!

Anna--We had a dog when I was growing up that could eat cake off the cake plate without even moving it. We would have never known but he had pink frosting on his muzzle. My mum was blaming us kids for eating it. :)

I received a lovely chicken ornament. It looks like a white Sizzle. My mum couldn't find what she was looking for but did find a ball with feathers glued all over it so she gave it a black beak and a gator clip to attach to a tree branch. Voila...one white Sizzle chicken ornament! :)

4. ashandvine

ashandvine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Western MA
    Nice new avatar Mainechick!

I did not PAINT those birds on the egg. I have a wooden egg around here somewhere that I did paint a loon on years ago but these ones are rub on pictures. Much faster for sure! And easier on my recovering wrists :)

Poor chickens. Inside all day for sure!

I have a cockerel who seems to be getting his first dose of hormones. He is walking around "huck huck hucking" and he looks a little worse for the wear. I am hoping that the current, much older cockerel (nearly rooster) in there isn't giving him too hard a time. So far I have found that raising them up together allows me the most time to keep them together without limiting myself to an all boy all girl set up. I actually hope he is getting those working chemicals because I totally need him to do his job!

5. Mainechick168

Mainechick168 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    Maine
    Oh thanks Ash :) I was pretending it was summer....

My flock will be mad today. I think they thought we would have grass forever. Oh, is it a sign that I am getting crazy if I start wondering about my chickens thoughts...and deciding I know that they are thinking???

I'm prepared for the power to go out...I hope it does not though, I'd like to make bread today.

Also, placing my order with Johnnys right now- they still have my fave red gold potatoes, thank goodness!

6. buckabucka

buckabucka Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Ha! The changing avatars will help keep me alert. I tend to not pay attention to the names, but glance at the avatar, so when Mainechick posted, I thought, "who is that?"
    You shouldn't have told us about the rub-ons, ashandvine! We are all so impressed with your talent.

I am also hoping we don't lose power. This is a great day for baking, or sewing feed bags, or browsing seed catalogs. I do need to go out and top off the water in the coop soon...

My deep litter is also very dry, but it's not very deep! I have poop boards though, so there is less poop piled around.

7. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    I hate snow and I think the hens agrèe

8. ChickMagnet207

ChickMagnet207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Maine
    I think you're all in the wrong state if you hate snow.....

9. Mainechick168

Mainechick168 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    Maine
    You are right about that chickmagnet! I love the snow. and I love Maine.

We went out for a walk behind the house, it was nice. Checked on the chickens, and they are already up on the roost ( at 330!) I got 4 eggs though, so I'll let them go to bed early.

10. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    For some reason this storm doesn't seem too bad. Maybe I'm finally getting used to all the snow.

The ducks (who are free range but sleep in a locked coop) didn't seem to mind the cold and snow very much. I'm amazed how different they are from chickens. There's all these duck prints all over the yard from them exploring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by