Maine

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by chickenboy, Mar 16, 2007.

1. ChickMagnet207

ChickMagnet207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Maine
    complaints galore! I love this weather! I'm going sun tanning this afternoon right after my dust/snow bath with the ladies!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  2. annabananaandfamily

annabananaandfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maine
    I LOVE winter! I dont mind shoveling, i love getting snowed in, i love playing with the kids outside in tje snow, i love christmas. I love when i go outside in winter and its cold and your face gets cold and ypu feel like your lips dont quite work right. I love standing in my warm livingroom looking outside at all the snow piling up. I love having soup without feelibg like i am overheating! I love watchig my dog turn into the crazy snow dog that only comes out this time of year! i love winter!
    I have a darkside though. Once the temp goes above 80, i turn into a grouchy monster. I HATE hot weather. Hate it hate it hate it!!! My theory is, when its cold i can always add layers, snuggle under blankets, or burn stuff if i get desperate. However, when i am hot i can only get so naked and I AM STILL HOT! Oooh, it makes me ao cranky to be hot!

Anyway, thats my take on it:)

1 person likes this.
  3. buckabucka

buckabucka Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop

Uh-oh. Brace yourself for menopause! :p

1 person likes this.
  4. Mainechick168

Mainechick168 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    Maine
    anna- I don't have anything to give you, but I live a half mile over the Hallowell line in farmingdale. I love Hallowell, but taxes are less here in farmingdale!

5. Mainechick168

May 12, 2012
    Maine
    OH I am so with you on the heat! This is part of the reason I will never leave Maine..and may eventually move north. When it gets above 80 I get so angry and annoyed! I say the same thing about the cold- you can put on a coat, sit by the fire.....but when it's soo hot, there are only so many pieces of clothing you can take off! I also appreciate that there are enough people who really don't like the weather here to keep them away....it keeps Maine pretty quiet....like I like it!

1 person likes this.
  6. Widget

Widget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Limington, Maine
    I too agree about the heat. And in the winter one can bundle up and fashion is pretty much ignored. Well at least for most people. It is amazing how many still insist on wearing the perfect looking high heeled boot that goes with their jacket and designer gloves. Yet if it snows the gloves, jacket and boots get soaked within minutes. Yes they may look good but they are cold and miserable while doing so.

And in the winter I get to play at the airport. Although yesterday was not a fun day there. Snowy and windy. Plenty of planes to de-ice. Took lots of patience since it took lots of fluid to get the planes clean for takeoff. The wind made it more difficult since you really had to get close so the fluid would actually hit the plane and not be blown away. All went well until about 130 when I was involved in a slight incident. The bucket I was sitting in kinda took part of the tail off the plane. I was about 20 feet up in the air at the time and saw the tail coming at me but couldn't do much but hang on. Needless to say the plane did not take off, the bucket was damaged and my nerves were rattled. But it could have been much worse. No one was injured just inconvenienced.

7. annabananaandfamily

annabananaandfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maine
    We will just be up there for the morning for a hockey game. The new arena there is great! But i figured if i am going to be there anyway and there arw a bunch of chicken people in the area...

8. dowgirl71

dowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2012
    Brewer, Maine
    I totally agree!! HATE being hot! If you get cold you can go inside to warm up, but when it's hot, it takes so long to cool off. I've been hot ever since I was pregnant with my son and he is almost nine. I'm waiting for my hormones to get back to normal, but I hear they don't.:(

9. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I know we had the discussion before about how to get your birds out in this kind of weather...

I suggested shoveling the snow and then putting something down (either hay or shovel some shavings out of the coop). I put down hay today. To entice you can throw down scratch or sunflower seeds. It works well.

[​IMG]

I also have a turtle sandbox that I fill with sand, stove ashes, and DE for them to dustbathe in. That lures them out.

[​IMG]

Lastly, I put some pellets softened with water out, and add anything else I have like leftovers to it... that makes them come out, too:

[​IMG]

Hope this helps someone.

10. Mainechick168

May 12, 2012
    Maine
    Mine did ok outside today- they stuck to the shovled areasmostly, I saw a few in the snow a bit...and my little front porch, which now has more poop than porch showing....

I snapped this photo on accident today- trying to get one of Speckle on the path, and caught the dog running up to us!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by