Maine

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by chickenboy, Mar 16, 2007.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Cute picture you caught there of the dog. I have an EE that looks just like yours. Her name is Carmen.

2. Widget

Widget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Limington, Maine
    All mine have no issues with going out in the snow. Not that they have much choice. The water and food dishes are at the front of the hoop coop. So the ones that hang out in the back in the covered part have to come out to eat and drink. The ones that have claimed the dog kennel just have to take a couple steps to get to the dishes. I don't even have to shovel a path for them. Just their moving around packs the snow down.

Inside the house I have three cats who compete to see who gets to sleep on top of the pellet stove. It gets warm but not hot when the stove is running. Perfect spot for a warm nap. Currently the oldest cat who is 13 and hates to go out even in the summer has the perch.

3. buckabucka

buckabucka Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Nice photos of snow and chickens! I only let one flock out today. They did roam around a bit, but it wasn't long before they strolled back home.

Great cross-country skiing out there this afternoon. I may go back out tomorrow and see if I can find the basket that fell off my ski pole. It should be easy to track down, since my tracks changed from leaving round prints to single holes on one side.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    ashandvine, I second you re: dislike of early sun down. I hate the short days. and also reserve the right to say I'm not fond of snow either. I see winter as the price I must pay to enjoy the pleasure of the other 3 seasons.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Tell me about your lettuce in your hoop house. I built one this fall, covered with 4 mil poly, late transplanted lettuce, just sitting dormant for now. When did you plant your lettuce, and is it under a second layer in the hoop tunnel? Is it actually growing? I have remay over one section, and old storm windows over an other section. Are you saying that you knock the snow off from inside?

6. Mainechick168

Mainechick168 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    Maine
    so I should have added- the picture is funny because my dogs ears do not stand up!

7. ChickMagnet207

ChickMagnet207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Maine
    Anyone have any Black Australorps they would part with? Either hens or roosters would work

8. buckabucka

buckabucka Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    I only have a little bit of lettuce out there, along with some spinach, claytonia, kale, lots of arugula and curly cress, and some mustard. Everything is covered with reemay inside.

Most stuff was planted August 29, but there was a bunch of arugula and curly cress that reseeded from the spring, so that got going even earlier. I think most things stopped growing a few weeks ago, but there was enough good-sized stuff that I can keep picking. The lettuce and spinach are too small to pick, for the most part, so my salads are mustard, arugula, and curly cress. It should pick up in February.

Yes, we knock the snow off from the inside. We can't reach the top, and I think the roof rake might damage the plastic. I hit the roof repeatedly with a broom. DH sometimes grabs ahold of the hoops and shakes the whole thing, which helps too. :p

Mainechick, your dog looks cute with his ears sticking up! I am afraid of dogs, even though that fear is usually unwarranted.

9. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    I just got back from NH where they got 8-10 inches of snow. thankfully here was only 2-3. I'm exhausted from the drive at least I can sleep in in the morning. and i got a call about a job!
    [​IMG]

I had some help taking care of the birds while I was gone. I had asked that eggs from 2 pens be saved and marked then rest could be taken in and left to be eaten. instead helpful decided to keep all the eggs laid and not mark any of them. now I have no idea whos eggs are whos and now I have to decide do I want to bother hatching these and not knowing what I am hatching?/ sizzles, silkies, paint silkies. thankfully the duck eggs were left there, not that i'd have a problem telling those apart.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  10. CoopChick719

CoopChick719 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Maine
    Quote:
    Hi Anna, Not sure if Grumpy's sells Jersey Giants but I do know that they raise them.They may be able to give you some leads. They are good people.

Grumpy's Organic Farm
    248 Benson Road

Manchester, Maine 04351

Phone

724-4040
    Email

[email protected]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by