Maine

Ash good luck actually making a profit, I havent met anyone in the chicken business who actually makes more money then they spend unless its a hatchery. Although I wish you the best.....

Thank you. No worries at all. I don't plan to make money just meet cost of raising. I have a breed here that I want to work with that needs so 'preservation' and publicity. After that I want to raise meat and a few nice birds for sale. I am an honest person and that means something to me when selling because I have had a few experiences with dishonest folks. If that is all I can do to improve a situation then ... do something about it, right?

Edited to add: Anyone know of a place for penciled Hamburgs?

Last edited:
who ever is looking for the Brahmas, pm me. there is one person on the central maine bird fanciers breeders list. sorry, i searched for the post and couldn't find who posted looking for them.

barnie.gif
founds some more really nice stuff that my "helper" did while I was gone. next I probably should say not to answer the phone if you can't write down the correct phone number especially if they call twice!
he.gif
guess I won't be able to go away anytime soon as it will be awhile before I forgot/forgive all that happened while I was gone.

so on a happier note, i am looking for some sheeps wool or alpaca, llama fur for a new craft I am trying. does anybody have any. i don't need alot but it does need to be uncarded (uncombed)

Last edited:
I am such a bad chicken mama! my beautiful roo has got some frostbite on his comb. Nothing major, a couple of spots, but I feel bad. I coated him with antibiotic ointment, and then went out and got to more bales of hay to put inside the coop, and covered the north window with tarp, and sealed the edges around the east window with duct tape. I've got ventilation in the upper left corner of the coop, and I cleaned out all the damp litter last week...

I am such a bad chicken mama! my beautiful roo has got some frostbite on his comb. Nothing major, a couple of spots, but I feel bad. I coated him with antibiotic ointment, and then went out and got to more bales of hay to put inside the coop, and covered the north window with tarp, and sealed the edges around the east window with duct tape. I've got ventilation in the upper left corner of the coop, and I cleaned out all the damp litter last week...
One of my cockerels is getting a semi-regular treatment of bagbalm. I feel badly as well. The coop was cleaned out but his comb is huge. Until I have another pen in the basement of the barn he is going to have to snuggle up and suffer. I am a bad chicken keeper to apparently.
Do flopped over combs get frostbite the same, I wonder? I have a Dorking here whose comb defies gravity and physics. It HAS to fall over at some point.
I put a few more decals on eggs today. A few of you were nice and encouraging about the loon. Its amusing and sweet. I painted that so long ago. I don't paint at all anymore. Unless its a wall or furniture lol

Hoppy, the new gal was looking for the Brahmas... Keric

Last edited:
Uh-oh. I must be really bad, because I just ignore frostbite. In fact, I didn't even notice it, DH pointed it out. It is one of the tips on the rooster's comb. I do feel bad, but I just thought it was expected with large comb roosters in Maine.

Is it important that I treat it in some way? I do have some bag balm. I don't want to cut back on ventilation. It's going to get a lot colder this week, too. Is the bag balm just to prevent more frost bite, or does it do something to heal it? I appreciate any advice.

On a separate note, I went cross-country skiing before this new snow started and managed to find the basket for my ski pole. It falls off at least once a year, but I don't ski enough to seek out new poles.

Back
Top Bottom