Maine

got it!! pm'd him
That was Keric on post 5542
smile.png
I'm looking for cheap, they are charging $45/lb,
th.gif
I have an offer of a sheep pelt which I probably will take but I want some variety. I'm making felted animals. not that I need some new craft but hey, i can't always make stained glass and carved eggs, I get bored.

This is called roving and you CAN find it in yarn shops. Are you looking for raw, undyed or colors?

Hoppy, the new gal was looking for the Brahmas... Keric
hey, anybody notice I was finally able to do the quote multiples!!
wee.gif

Last edited:
I'm really determined to start incubating eggs from my new white bantam cochins. So yesterday, I set up a pen in my "Chick Room". This morning, I got an EGG!
I have two hens and two roos, so this will be a slow process.
smile.png

I'm really determined to start incubating eggs from my new white bantam cochins. So yesterday, I set up a pen in my "Chick Room". This morning, I got an EGG! I have two hens and two roos, so this will be a slow process. :)
I can't wait to start hatching, although I' waiting until March or April. I want to hatch some Basques, but like you, only two hens and two roos. My lavender Ameraucanas, I only have 3 hens. They almost 2 years old, I think, and I haven't seen an egg from them in ages! I suppose that might prevent me from getting carried away. :)

Bagbalm will help with healing in a few ways: it gives the skin a protective layer and has lanolin for healing. Its great stuff.

I put a skin of bagbalm on the comb points and wattles where he dips them in the water while drinking. I figure the less he suffers the higher I can hold my head. The plan was to get him into a pen in the barn but that pen is only partially built. Once its ready he goes in it. I am contemplating bringing everyone in from the small cottage... it won't help my hatching plans.

Love the pic of the cochins.

How to post multi... well, when you see a quote you want to respond to you click on the "multi" button instead of quote and then when you find the next you do the same until you get to the last quote you want to include. That is the one you hit "quote" on and the list of them shows up in your reply post box. I hope that made sense.

Bagbalm will help with healing in a few ways: it gives the skin a protective layer and has lanolin for healing.  Its great stuff. 

I put a skin of bagbalm on the comb points and wattles where he dips them in the water while drinking.  I figure the less he suffers the higher I can hold my head.  The plan was to get him into a pen in the barn but that pen is only partially built.  Once its ready he goes in it.  I am contemplating bringing everyone in from the small cottage... it won't help my hatching plans. 

Love the pic of the cochins. 

How to post multi... well, when you see a quote you want to respond to you click on the "multi" button instead of quote and then when you find the next you do the same until you get to the last quote you want to include.  That is the one you hit "quote" on and the list of them shows up in your reply post box.  I hope that made sense. 

That makes sense to put it just on the comb tips and wattle edges. I've read about putting Vaseline on their combs, but some people complain that the whole comb and face get plastered in dirt and it's a mess. It had not occurred to me to just put a little on the tips.

I'm so bummed out today. my sister's dog died this morning. after having a wonderful christmas the dog ate something it should not have and it got stuck in his intestines. things were just so against her. her area got pounded with snow making it not possible to get out and he wasn't a young dog either. I'm glad he at least got time to spend with his family over the holiday but what a horrible thing to happen.

That makes sense to put it just on the comb tips and wattle edges. I've read about putting Vaseline on their combs, but some people complain that the whole comb and face get plastered in dirt and it's a mess. It had not occurred to me to just put a little on the tips.
The thing about petroleum is that it does get runny but there is no dirt now and the cold ambient temps tend to keep it in place. BagBalm has lanolin which is all natural and it is heavier so it stays put better. If you were to put your hand in each you would find that one is softer and one thicker. Maybe consider what happens when a dog sledder goes into the wild to race. They put a special wax on the bottom of the pads of their dogs feet. There are products like that out there but I don't know where to suggest looking. Petroleum products or lanolin or beeswax all have properties to protect the body from wind and snow/frost. Those cute rosey cheeks that happen, those wind dried lips? You can prevent those by just rubbing a thin layer of Burt's Bees balm or any of those salves found in a tin on your cheeks and lips BEFORE going outside. Even chapstick or petroleum jelly. I prefer the yellow tin of Burt's Bees balm with the picture of the bee on it because it also has the highest amount of Comfrey-- more than their sticks even, and Comfrey has a naturally biochemical that has been shown to speed healing. It is recommended only for small wounds, and chapped lips, wind burn and scrapes qualify. There is also camphor which is nice for that menthol property. Anyway, people who live in areas out west that put petroleum on their birds because of the drastic drop in night time temps have issues because they have dirt/dust during the day and the jelly runs. Its not an issue here. It does have to be applied every day or every other, or mornings. What have you. I recommended once that a woman try knee sock nylons or dress socks or a toddler sock on her bird but she had too many. The sock can be cut like a ski mask for your rooster and fit down on to cover the comb but leave a large opening for the face, tucking snug under the wattles. Not all birds like/tolerate it. Still, there is your weird facts for the day. People who swim in very cold water slather petroleum or oil all over their selves in an effort to create a barrier between their skin and the cold. The petroleum seals their skin, so you can't go out and running in the summer with baby oil or petroleum on yourself because then you will suffocate-- your skin does need to breath. Anyway.... you get the gist of information for your birds sake.
Another thing is you could put bales of hay in your coops to reduce the area their bodies need to generate heat to fill. The bales act as insulation, space takers and can be used through the warmer months for their boxes. I plan to put a few bricks I am going to warm on the wood stove in a bucket and put that out there either on a slate tile or hanging tonight. It might not be a lot of radiated heat for them but I have to do something more given the temps that are predicted.

I need to edit to add that the bird's trachea is very near the surface under its chin and you have to be very careful putting anything around their necks etc. I like the nylons for this reason over socks. They go on pretty easy and they are long with a loose cuff vs the elastic cuff of socks.

Last edited:
Yeah, i thought we were gping to have a good winter for the birds being able to use body heat for the coop until we had the predator cut our flock from 16 to 9! Now i am a little more concerned, but hopefully we will pick up some large fowl birds soon!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom