Maine

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by chickenboy, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Mainechick168

Mainechick168 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    Maine
    that is so sad :( poor dog. Those things are so tough to deal with.

2. ashandvine

ashandvine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Western MA
    [​IMG]
    I thought of you all when I took this. It was this moment of beauty that I didn't expect in the severe winds and harsh cold here. My son shoveled a path twice to the cottage only to find it completely erased by the winds later. The chickens were not as impressed by the sunset but they never are, always too busy jostling for a roost.

3. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    pretty but I still hate snow- now if it was warm snow..... I guess that would be water, wouldn't it...oh well.

4. Gallina Sarda

Gallina Sarda Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Winterport, Maine
    What a beautiful pix Ashandvine!

5. buckabucka

buckabucka Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Sorry about your sister's dog, Hoppy. :(

I may try the bag balm, ashandvine. This rooster and I do not get along all that well. If I use it, I will just do his comb tips and maybe some of his wattles. He is in the hoop coop, so he still has access to plenty of dirt. And while it is very cold out there at night, the coop warms up nicely on sunny days, even with the large amount of ventilation.

Even though I am constantly worried about the chickens being too cold, I know that they are very hardy. One winter, on the really cold below zero nights, we got in the habit of shutting the pop doors to conserve heat. Normally, we leave the pop doors open all the time, because the run is super secure. Anyway, DH went out and closed the pop doors for me, since I didn't get home until after dark. The next morning, I went to put water in the run, and there was one of my Welsummers. DH did not realize she was still out there, so she was locked out. She was alone on the outdoor roost, 13 below zero. I was horrified and expected her to be frozen to death, but I picked her up and she was fine. She did shiver a little, but then joined the others for breakfast.

Nice sunset photo, ashandvine! I was actually watching that beautiful sunset too. We don't have a great view of the western sky here, but we were at a friend's house. They have big picture windows facing west and a nice view. It was very pretty and lasted a long time.

6. CoopChick719

CoopChick719 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Maine
    Originally Posted by hoppy So sorry to hear about your sister's dog, Hoppy! Such a terrible shame.

Thank you Ash for the interesting facts on comb/wattles protection & chicken ski masks. If Rite-Aid is robbed by short, feathered robbers, we'll know where to look! [​IMG]

I like your idea on the warming bricks on the stove. Kind of like the old-fashioned bed warmers. I was thinking about something similar using clay pots like on this link minus the candle of course. http://www.ehow.com/how_12094083_make-heater-made-candle-clay-pot.html

I know what you mean Anna. I've only got 6 birds. I still worry even though my coop is insulated.

7. CoopChick719

CoopChick719 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Maine
    Beautiful picture! Did anyone else notice that it was not completely dark at 4pm tonight? Very cool!!

8. Mainechick168

Mainechick168 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    Maine
    That is beautiful!

I feel your pain on the shovelling. I have shovelled the path 4 times in the past 2 days because of the wind!

9. annabananaandfamily

annabananaandfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maine
    I seriously almost peed my pants when i went out to the coop this am. I was expecting to find very angry chickens since i wouldnt let them out yesterday. Instead i found 2 eggs!! 2 real honest to goodness eggs! I was so happy i could have kissed the chickens. But i think my wooping and yeehawing tipped them off because they all spread out to the far corners of the coop and gave me the evil eye. I skipped happily through knee deep snow back to the house and woke up the whole house to show them my treasures. The pre-teen girls were not impressed.

10. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by