Maine

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by chickenboy, Mar 16, 2007.

1. buckabucka

buckabucka Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    I'm glad I'm in good company! :D

2. CoopChick719

CoopChick719 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Maine
    2 eggs!![​IMG] I feel your pain, Anna, I'm always more excited to find the eggs than anyone else in the house. Pre-teen girls are hard to impress!

3. CoopChick719

Sep 20, 2012
    Maine
    Very envious...7 eggs!! I've had no eggs for 2 days. Also, I'm pretty sure I've got a broody hen.

4. CoopChick719

Sep 20, 2012
    Maine
    Originally Posted by superchemicalgirl [​IMG]

Hey, Whatever works, right SGC!! [​IMG]

5. buckabucka

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    We're getting 2 - 5 eggs per day from 36 hens. At least 11 are older, approaching 3 years, but even the young ones pretty much shut down with these short days. I'm eager to see things pick back up.
    Last year's records show a four week period of low production, which started turning upward (ever so slowly) during the first week in January.

6. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    my first chicks of the yr are due on thursday- can't wait!!! paint silkies of course.

7. Mainechick168

Mainechick168 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    Maine
    exciting!

the idea of hatching chicks is sort of neat to me....I have nothing special here ( well...I think they are special...) I would basically have some barnyard crosses..but my rooster is pretty, and my ladies are sweet and apparently great layers so far...I would just be curious to see what came out of the eggs...BUT...I have no need for more chickens, and I don't think mutts are in high demand [​IMG]

8. Mainechick168

Mainechick168 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    Maine
    I've got a buff orpington, 2 barred rocks, 2 white rocks and some EE's... (9 total hens) I got the plymouth rocks and the buff because I heard they would lay all winter...I am surprised the EE's are...well, all but one is. that is fine with me!

I had a dream last night that I found 11 eggs...which would pretty much be impossible.... and yes, I have dreams about my chickens [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. buckabucka

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop

That is the hardest part! (not having mutts, but having no room for more chickens). We expanded last year, so I could add more breeds. Hatching is really addictive. I can't wait to hatch more! We grow out and eat the roosters, so I try not to get attached. Often, that is easy because some start getting mean.

Next fall, we have agreed to get rid of the hens that are more than 3 years old (except 1 or 2 that we just can't). My intention was to let them live here forever, but they live a long time and egg production is really slowing down. It is going to be hard for me, but I have a lot of egg customers and I like to eat fresh eggs too! That is the only way I'll be able to add new hens.

I sold 4 hens to a friend once, and I was sad to see them go, even though they went to a nice home. But I'm trying to be tough and think of them as livestock. It helps that I have 40 chickens now, - I don't have time to get to know them as individuals, as much!

Happy New Year to everyone!

10. Clover Run

Clover Run Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Central Maine
    I have been getting a lot of inquiries for NPIP testing. You can PM me for an appt. As, of right now, I have no Saturdays left for avail. (unless someone reschedules or cancels) but would be willing to do a Sunday afternoon if that is only time you can. Otherwise, Tuesdays and Wednesday are avail.

Happy hatching everyone! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by