Maine

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by chickenboy, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Widget

Widget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Limington, Maine
    I had an interview Saturday that went really well. I go in Thursday for a couple hours to job shadow to see if I like the job. No reason why I wouldn't so hopefully things will work out. I'm thinking that since they want me to job shadow that is a good sign. Salary is horrible but the benefits are really good. And I'm back at the airport after only one day of being unable to work due to the accident investigation.

As for seeds I have the ones I want selected but don't dare to order since I don't want to spend money right now unless absolutely necessary. But all this talk about growing things and incubators make spring seem that much closer. [​IMG]

2. ejcimd

ejcimd Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Maine
    All this talk of gardening made me gather all the catalogs I had laying about. I have yet to sit down and peruse them but since I spent a lot of time outside today I'm feeling pleasantly tired. Unlike the tired after a long day at work.

The chickens already had areas shoveled and today I made them more and wider cause, well, yeah they're spoiled. Between the chickens and the wild birds everyone should be content.

This year I'm going to experiment an use my chickens to clear some new garden space and then drop a non chemically treated pallet down. Fill the slats with soil and seed. Saw that on Pinterest and it looked sweet. Was thinking about day tripping on Saturday of the Congress. But at the same time my college classes begin on the 16th and I'm not sure I'll want to spend that many hours in the car the weekend for break is over. IDK right now but then again I did print of the pertinant info so I'd be prepared.

3. Mainechick168

Mainechick168 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    Maine
    [​IMG]

let's see.... One of my big recommendations, that I got from my grandfather, is not to start things too early ( unless it's lettuce or spinach etc.) early heavy rain or cold spells can completely destroy any head start you get from planting a little early.

Some things are better to direct seed, somethings are better to plant started- I always plant already started squash and cukes etc.

Since you have a raised bed, you might not need to worry as much about drainage- but my garden is on a gentle slope, so I make sure my rows follow the slope, so I don't get standing water between rows.

Also, be willing to crawl through rows and inspect things almost daily- finding pests early can make the difference between a little problem and a big infestation- also, do a little research on good bugs and bad bugs, and if you spray with anything, even if it is all natural/organic, it's good to do it in the evening, because it will not mess with bees- they go home for the night, and whatever you spray should be dry by the time they come back in the morning.

I make a homemade insecticidal soap that works for some bugs- I boil a mess of cayenne pepper, garlic, canola oil and some peppermint dr. bronners and then mix with water and spray. Also, if you need to go a more serious route for bugs I use spinosad, which is organic certified. I had an issue with colorado potato beetles, and when hand squishing and my homemade spray didn't work, this was great.

oh, and about the squash and stuff...my photo illustrates that they really need a lot of space!! this was about mid season....this buttercup squash plowed things over and came out every corner of the garden!

and finally, just do it! I learn more every year!

4. CoopChick719

CoopChick719 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Maine
    Originally Posted by hoppy [​IMG]
    Very nice flock!! Are your Barred Rocks friendly? I still want some but had heard they could be moody. What type of rooster do you have?

5. CoopChick719

CoopChick719 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Maine
    Wow! Great posts on seeds, seed starting and gardening! Makes me want to start looking at seed catalogs too. Had great luck with tomatoes in buckets last year. Tried some potatoes in a trashbag but they were very small. Really want to start asparagus this year. I'm going to be replacing flower beds with vegetable beds.

6. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    I will take pictures when the hatch is done.
    my one tip for planting is mark your rows. i mark mine using ground up egg shells. i dig the row, plant the seeds, cover and then run a sprinkle of egg shells so I can visually see where I planted. i don't plant everything on one day, but a few things and then in a week, a few more so i get a staggered harvest. I also use rocks to mark my rows (saw a cute idea of painting on the rock with the name of the veggie) i usually just put the empty packet under the rock, it lasts for most of the season regardless of weather.

and of course we have chickens, don't let them free range near the garden for several weeks after planting or they will "re arrange" the garden for you.

7. Mainechick168

Mainechick168 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    Maine

The barred rocks are not Un friendly, they kind of like to do their own thing though. My EE's are way more up in my face! My rooster is a barred rock cross- here's a pic-
    [​IMG]

8. annabananaandfamily

annabananaandfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maine
    I have one BR hen tjat was one of my orignal ladies when we got them almost 2 years ago. She is the head hen around here, keeps everyone in line and is completely doted on by the head roo. We named her Kamikaze, after a character in the How To Train Your Dragon BOOKS (dont get me started on the movie version! Grrrrr!), because she has always been tje bravest and craziest. When i go out to feed everyone i usually will crouch down and feed them for a few minutes put of my hands. She will stand beaide me and look up at me and if i dont give her the food when she wants it she will tug on my shirt. She has more personality than i ever thought possible in a chicken and i hope she starts laying again soon so i can hatch some of her offspring. If she is an indication of the breed, then i say they are great birds!

Speaking of her offspring! I have a genetivs question for anyone that might know. I think that i can sex her chicks when they hatch when crossing her with my cochin roo. So far i have hatcjed a dozeb or so of that cross and every male that has hatched, hatches with a large white dot of feathers on his head. The makes have also been the only pnes to get the barring from her. Is this coincidence or have i accidentally discovered aomething known to all of you already?

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    My word of gardening wisdom: Mulch, then mulch some more! I try to keep my whole garden under 6" of mulch. Have been using straw until everyone else discovered it and the price went to 8.00/bale in my area. Trying spoiled hay for next season. Scared to death about what the weed seeds will do... but the addition of chickens should turn all of those weed sprouts into good chicken salad... or should I say, good salad for the chickens. My hero is Ruth Stout, the writer of the books titled "The Lazy Gardener" and "Gardening Without Work". Sound familiar? Hope she doesn't think I'm infringing on her copy right. I just happen to be in favor of doing as little work as possible for the greatest return... and experimenting along the way. Feel free to push the envelope re planting early. One old sage said, if you're not loosing some seed to cold weather, you're not planting early enough. Also, cold frames, garden tunnels, and plain old poly can do a lot to speed up the season. Interestingly enough, people say that keeping a garden under the mulch in the winter slows down the warm up of the soil in the spring. I've found that just the opposite is true in my experience. The mulch keeps the frost from penetrating so deeply, and I can plant much earlier than I ever could on bare soil. Also, contrary to common wisdom, I've found that the soil is not as wet under mulch as it would be left naked. At least in my gardening situation, I can get in and work the soil just as soon as the frost is out. Several years ago, I planted on bare (mulched) ground March 7. (then put a poly tunnel over it.)

Next recommendation: Interplant where ever possible. Never plant a row of radishes when they can be planted among your other crops. Wide row instead of single row, do some research regarding companion cropping. (Couldn't hurt, might help! Anyone else want to weigh in on this issue?) Trellising is great for saving space. Cattle panels are my friend here, as is an old childs swing set.

Favorite crops: I LOVE growing potatoes. So much return for practically no work. Haven't hilled a potatoe in 10 years! FORTEX pole beans. Get a single crop going, and you can save your seed for next year, every year. They are the best beans I've ever grown. 10" long and not at all woody or stringy.

I enjoy Johnny's catalog. Great pictures, even better product description. However, I find them too pricey for my blood. I read Johnny's and drool, then buy from Fedco Seeds at a fraction of the price. HEY, WOULDN'T IT BE GREAT IF WE COULD GET FEDCO DOING A BULK ORDER OF CHICKS AND FEEDS IN THE SPRING THE WAY THEY DO WITH THEIR TREES??

Finally, I recommend that you try at least one new thing every year. You'll never get bored with gardening, and you'll never stop learning.

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I sent my Fedco order in well before Christmas. Havent heard anything. Hope they didn't loose my order!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by