Maine

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by chickenboy, Mar 16, 2007.

1. buckabucka

buckabucka Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop

I don't know if chickens eat ants, but I doubt the ants will hurt them. We have ants here too (sandy soil), but they don't seem to be a problem.

Does black plastic encourage ants? I haven't noticed that it made them any worse, particularly. Maybe someone else knows more about ants than I do.

We get the really thick black plastic so we can reuse it. Before we had the hoop house, we had to hold some of it down with old tires (really ugly), but there is a rock shortage here. We do have a lot of bricks though, and bought a bunch of earth staples too.

Enjoy your free time, Joanie! I go back to work today, so I'll be reminiscing about my former free time.

2. Clover Run

Clover Run Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Central Maine
    If you want a raised bed this year I will bring you soil in my truck. Vinings sells good loam and lets you get just a pickup truck load at a time.

3. ashandvine

ashandvine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Western MA
    Clover.... that was very nice of you!

The French deal with what they have. You can go there and they grow in gravel. Its amazing. I figure if people can garden in just water or sand and things like air plants exist I can make do... of course that was my philosophy BEFORE I moved to this 9 acres and its garden bed that is the size of a small house foot print.

Regarding ants. I have yet to see a chicken eat an ant. I wish they would. I have seen the ants swarm and wouldn't recommend putting chickens on the nests. I have read corn meal and coffee grounds are the trick. Both are natural and good for the garden either way. It could take a year to to get rid of them so be patient. Maybe rent an ant eater? :)

I need golf balls.

4. Mainechick168

Mainechick168 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    Maine

You can come get my rocks!!! everytime I stick a shovel in the ground I find about 20 more....

I have a surprise extra day of vacation today- yay! back at it tomorrow though :(

5. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    I might be able to help if you can tell me what color is our cochin roo?
    barring is a sex linked gene, hens carry 1 copy on her sex gene(for us it's our XY- birds are the opposite where the female determines the sex of the chicks), the roos, carry 2 copies.

6. annabananaandfamily

annabananaandfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maine
    Hoppy, the roo is red.

However, when I start hatching this spring I will have 2 cochin roos with her for a little while and one of them is splash. Would it still work with that one?

7. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    figures, red, which has hundreds of combos, so that I might figure out what kind of red, what colors do you get of all chicks produced (and what are males, what are females?)

8. CoopChick719

CoopChick719 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Maine
    Hi Joanie, I use a comination of potting soil, topsoil, peatmoss and compost. My ground has lots of clay so my raised beds sit on a thick layer of newspaper to keep the weeds down then I layer it with all the dirts above, like a lasagana. I'll PM you some directions I found on Mother Earth News.

9. CoopChick719

CoopChick719 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Maine
    Thank you so much!!

10. Widget

Widget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Limington, Maine
    Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Just a bit on the chilly side today. House has been hovering around 60. Not too bad and the pit bull loves to snuggle so we are staying warm. Gave me a chance to peruse Fedco's site. I broke down and placed and order. Figured that the benefits of having fresh veggies this summer justified spending a bit today. I think I will try some container gardening on the back deck for the tomatoes and herbs. Might try other things in containers too. I did get a few flowers that the bees should like. Didn't want to forget them. And I am sure the chickens will love some of the plants too.

Also got a call from a place I applied to a couple weeks ago. I go in tomorrow to fill out a paper application and take an aptitude test. Looks like a good place to work. Manufacturing but good money and benefits. I also have a job shadow at another place tomorrow morning to see if I like that job. Great benefits but very low pay. Never heard back from TSC but I figure that's their loss. So there is a candle burning at the end of the tunnel. At least I hope it is a candle and not the light on an express train.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by