Maine

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by chickenboy, Mar 16, 2007.

1. VioletBlueIvy

VioletBlueIvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    There is a thread in chicken behaviors and egg laying where you can post how cold it is today and how many eggs you got....

2. annabananaandfamily

annabananaandfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maine
    Ever since our predator adventure I have been really hesitant to let them out early in the morning. They dont seem to mind hanging in the coop til later, especially if I bring treats along with me when I let them out. Today they had warm corn and rice to entice them out of the coop:)

3. annabananaandfamily

May 6, 2011
    Maine
    Oh, and ps, since my super exciting 2 egg day the other day I am back down to the customary 0 a day[​IMG]

4. VioletBlueIvy

VioletBlueIvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    I had 0 yesterday, so I feel your pain! I have 2 today so far, so hang in there... I like to imagine they are just saving them up for spring and I will be eyeballs deep in hatching eggs :)

5. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    That's the spirit! I went from 0 to 2-3 eggs a day within the past few days or so. I have no idea what changed. What I'd like to do is get enough to hatch, but I think I'll be buying hatching eggs.

6. annabananaandfamily

May 6, 2011
    Maine
    I was hoping to be able to hatch too. But i am with you, will most likely need to purchase some.
    I have been trying to encourage the ladies! Treats to help them stay warm, adding light...will pick up some cracked corn this weekend, hopefully my supplimenting pays off!

7. Puddleducks

Puddleducks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2012
    I just rescued an old pair of hen and rooster from my neighbors. They have been severely neglected but are on the mend. Would anyone in the southern main, eastern NH have room for them? I have a very young very spunky rooster already and I don't see him and this much bigger grumpy old man getting along. They have lived a hard unhealthy life and I think they deserve a forever home, I would not recommend eating them due to age and health issues...also I'm a pansy. I just want them to be happy.They had never seen fresh shavings before. They were frightened of them. It broke my heart. I am calling them Buckbeak (Auracana nh red cross) and Lenora (auracana hen. not laying due to age or malnutrition) for now.
    [​IMG]

8. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    babies are hatching. so far 11 hatched and about 5 more due. exciting to see who are paints and what other colors. so far 5 paints, 5 black (or very dark blues) and 1 light blue.
    i had a great day, got my "new" used treadmill for $50 and got a call for a job interview [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    if anyone is looking for something at the northeast poultry show, I have a person willing to transport birds back to maine. pm for his phone number.

10. buckabucka

buckabucka Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    We had -16 this morning. We're in a cold pocket, which is why we ended up with hoop houses. There were 3 eggs this morning. Last week, there was a slight increase in production, but this week is looking to be down quite a bit.

Hoppy, is there a way to know what is available at the Northeast poultry show? Really, I need to wait until spring and do my hatching, but I was just curious.

And why are annabanana and SCG buying hatching eggs? Is it because you need to hatch now so the pullets will be close to point of lay for spring sales? I'm planning to hold out until March or April for hatching. Hopefully, by then I'll have plenty of eggs, although I'm planning to buy eggs just to get more breeds. I wasn't planning on selling anything unless my hatch is super successful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by