1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Maine

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by chickenboy, Mar 16, 2007.

1. CoopChick719

CoopChick719 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Maine
    Thank you Paulajon!! I appreciate your info! That's my thought too so I've kept the pop door closed the past 2 days. My coop is 8x12 (chicken area is about 8x8) with gable vents at both ends. My nesting boxes are about 18 inches up one wall. I've placed a cardboard box--on it's side--under the boxes to block wind from the popdoor. I've also layered this area with hay so they can huddled in that. I'm doing DLM but I think it's too dry to give off any real heat. Surprisingly my silkie & sizzles were the ones that loved to be out in the pen. I have a heat lamp w/dome. I also had a 100 watt bulb in the chicken area & in the storage area but DH changed them to twirly energy saving ones. And while I do love him, he is so tight he squeaks. His concern is how much the heat lamps & coop lights affect the electric bill. Do you see a big increase?

2. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    no, paint is not another name for splash. splash is based on blue and has a pale blue backround, small ticking. paint is totally different, breeding wise. it only takes one paint parent to produce spots, ideally the backround is pure white with black spots, they can have blue spots but still have the white backround color (being a blue paint) for comparison, the top picture is paint, the bottom is splash [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    tell your husband not not be so tight. the twirly bulbs give off zero heat, that is why they save so much money, they also don't keep your chickens warm at all. they are fine for lighting, but not warmth.
    (signed, tight wad- I found out the hard way with turkey chicks)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  4. joanie_maine

joanie_maine Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    Temple, ME
    The 100 watt bulbs (or 90 watt bulbs) are the "heaters". I use them over the cages above the pens. That way the most vunerable birds in cages get the most heat.
    Plus the light in the barn (garage) encourages birds to lay. My birds do not go out in this kind of cold!!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  5. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop

Mine are locked up too. I also try to provide an occasional treat for their entertainment: a rotting winter squash, apple, table scraps, etc. One thing mine love (and it's free) is small white pine branches. They eat all the pine needles. I can put 5 or 6 small branches in there, and the next morning they are gone. I tried other evergreens, but they don't seem to care for them.

I am growing hard red spring wheat for them for greens. I bought a small packet of it year's ago from a seed catalog calling it "cat grass". My cat did enjoy her winter grass snack, which I planted in a little pot. Once I found out what it was, it was much cheaper to buy from the health food store.

I sprout the wheat in a sprouter (like they sell at Johnny's), and as soon as it gets big enough to form a mat of roots, I transfer it to a "fish tray", which is a flat plastic tray that fish is delivered to restaurants in. Once or twice a day, I flood it with fresh water, and then dump the water out. The roots seem to hold enough water to keep growing, and green up nicely with some sunlight. I think I'm going to try and keep sprouting all winter, as they will devour this first tray I am making in no time.

6. CoopChick719

Sep 20, 2012
    Maine
    Paulajon--Sorry to hear about your guinea! Hopefully it's doing better tonight! Thanks for the heat advice.

Bucka--Pine needles? I've got those by the bushel! Will have to try this. I've been sprouting some small dishes of red spring wheat--got it from the health food store. They love them! So does the cat...hard to keep her out of them while they're trying to grow. Gotta sprout her some of her own.

7. CoopChick719

Sep 20, 2012
    Maine
    I have to say I am so happy to have found this thread. [​IMG] You all have been so helpful and encouraging. I appreciate your advice and wisdom! Thank you all Maine BYCers!![​IMG]

8. Paulajon

Paulajon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2012
    MAINE
    Thanks so far so good he/she is doing good.

1 person likes this.
  9. Paulajon

Apr 18, 2012
    MAINE

10. Paulajon

Apr 18, 2012
    MAINE

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by