Maine

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by chickenboy, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Paulajon

Paulajon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2012
    MAINE
    congats, Hoppy. I will be collecting eggs and starting up the incubator, hopefully next week, not sure what I will end up with, it is so addicting I also want to invest in another incubator.would love to see pic of your new babies..

2. Paulajon

Paulajon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2012
    MAINE

3. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    darn quote is not working right
    so to reply to coopchick719
    I set up a heat lamp in my coop 2 feet from the where the chickens would want to get under it (safely). then see how they are, if they are spread out, it's too warm or if they are huddled right under it, move it just a bit closer but be careful because it can start a fire. I find 2feet is plenty close enough and sometimes mine is set up for the perching birds- 2' above the perch not the floor. if you have floor dwellers, then 2' from the highest bedding, remember, they toss the hay all over and you don't want it to be closer due to fire.

4. MustardTiger

MustardTiger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2012
    Gah I leave for a while and have 140 new posts to read!

all this garden talk makes me anxious about ours. we have about a full acre we are going to make into gardens and orchards. Just yesterday we picked the fruit trees we are going to put in. I dont know why the garden makes me so nervous!

I think we are going to put off building another coop until next spring but, of course, I still want more chickens this spring. We can fit about 15 in our coop and currently have 7. I would love to make an order from McMurray but I really have no space for 15 more. We really want to raise them from chicks so they will be comfortable around us (the ones we got last year as pullets are still so skittish around us) SO if anyone wants to share an order to arrive around April let me know. I would be more than happy to buy some day old chicks from someone on here when the time comes. We will be looking for EEs and some dual purpose birds for meat (australorps, rocks, orpingtons....) and a couple turkeys. Just throwing that out there.

I am glad the weather is getting warmer. I have been worried about the girls though they seem to have been fine in the cold. no signs of frostbite yet and I still havent had to swap out the litter. I just keep adding to it and so far so good. sometimes it gets a tiny bit damp but I just go in there and stir it up and it seems to take care of the issue. They didnt mind the snow until it got to be 2+ feet deep out there!

[​IMG]

5. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    I made this last night. it's needle felting from alpaca wool. (it's a shih tzu dog in case you can't tell)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    and the babies[​IMG]
    any that are not paint will be for sale.

7. ChickMagnet207

ChickMagnet207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Maine
    Oh I thought it was a wookie. J/k Cool stuff!

8. MustardTiger

MustardTiger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2012
    I should also mention that I am near Cumberland center.

Felting is awesome. I have seen some felted dog "portraits" go for $100s!

9. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    I must be crazy, I just set call duck eggs. [​IMG] probably in a month I'll be saying why did i do that??? hey, why not???

10. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    I can't show you what I made first. it was supposed to be a sheep but it turned into a weasel instead [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by