Maine

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by chickenboy, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Mainechick168

Mainechick168 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    Maine

MustardTiger- do you know if there is a paris farmers union near you? I believe their min. order is 6...and I'm sure they come from the hatchery- they don't have a huuuge selection, but I'm happy with the ones I got from them as day olds! I am pretty sure there is one in Portland- I ordered from the Winthrop store though.

2. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    or you could also get 6+ from any of the other farm stores or chickens swaps if they are under 8 weeks old (agway, tractor supply, aubucon, they all order from hatcheries)

3. buckabucka

buckabucka Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Good idea, Mainechick. I got a few chicks from Longhorn's in Buxton once. You can order just a few (I got 3 EE's) and they come from Cackle Hatchery. The store says just write down other breeds and they will try to get them for you, but I only think that is true if those breeds are available from Cackle. You have to fill out an order form a month before, but they get chicks in March through July or something. What I liked about their system was that you could select what breed you want and those chicks are reserved for you (as long as you show up to pick them). I don't believe there is a minimum order, they were inexpensive and you don't pay the shipping. It's a funky store, but I enjoyed my visit. Here's a link if you are interested: http://www.longhorn.me/documents/76.html

4. Widget

Widget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Limington, Maine
    I second Longhorn. And it is definitely on the funky side. While they do order from Cackle they may also be able to get chicks from other sources. So if you want a breed that Cackle doesn't have just ask and see of they can get it in for you. Order as many or as few as you want. Including turkeys, ducks and guineas.

5. buckabucka

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Does anyone around here have German New Hampshires? I have been intrigued by them ever since someone said my mutt looks like one. I bought this mutt as a chick from someone who said it hatched from a blue Amercauna egg, but it clearly wasn't an Ameraucana. Apparently, the breeder had an accidental cross.

Anyway, I am fond of this mutt, "Brownie", because she is very productive, almost like a leghorn. I can't post photos on my IPad, but her photo is on the olive egger thread, post #4896. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/131131/the-olive-egger-thread/4890#post_10058943

Maybe she's not even related to a German NH, but it made me want one!

6. ashandvine

ashandvine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Western MA
    Hoppy, thank you for the explanation. I love splash in general but this paint is beautiful!! Keep me posted on who you have for sale for pullets. My gf wants one.
    Thank you so much for this. What do you mean by health store??

Mustard Tiger.... I plan to have Turkeys and meaties....

I have a neighbor with a NH Red and the bird is big. I am thinking about crossing him over my hens for meat. Not sure yet.

7. annabananaandfamily

annabananaandfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maine
    Whew! Whirlwind weekend is well underway! I have some happy chickens right now. After reading what everyone does for their birds, i decided to make some little adjustments for mine. Added hay, which i dont usually use, in nest boxes and as sort of insulation in some draftier places and a light layer on the coop floor (on top of the deep layer stuff we had started). Gave them some cracked corn and some pine branches hauled in from around the property. While hunting down the pine we identified fox, turkey and coyote tracks...all nice and close! Ugh!

On a completely unrelated note, i have to share my own personal little adventure. Thursday evening i finally got to play hockey for the first time ever! I have wanted to try for years, but never been able to find a group that would let me join them. This week the girls team from my daugjters organization invited me to join them. Oh my goodness! I had so much fun! I cant wait til next time! And i am surprised at how great these young girls were about letting a woman the same age as their parents join them! SO MUCH FUN!!

8. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    [​IMG]

9. buckabucka

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    What a great story about your hockey game, annabanana! I only learned to skate as an adult (so I'm bad at it), but I love skating on an outdoor lake that is smooth as glass. It didn't happen this year... My friend in college was captain of the women's ice hockey team, so I used to enjoy going to watch.

Ashandvine, by "health food store" I mean a natural food store, that sell things like beans and wheat in bulk. Or maybe I should say buys those things in bulk, and then repackages them in a variety of different size packages. More variety than the grocery store, usually cheaper, and organic options.

New Hampshires are dual purpose, I think. My "Brownie" isn't huge, but she's solid (and crossed with an Ameraucana), assuming she even has some NH blood.

10. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    I found you these for german NH.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/732343/new-hampshire-german-line-10-hatching-eggs

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/723185/new-hampshire-reds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by