Maine

I have never been there but now I want to go back there too!! Heck, that sounds fantastic!!!

All this talk about dates and graduating has me feeling dated.

I am at the point of chewing nails with this bator. I drilled a few more air holes because I had to have something to do. I am not a good stand and wait kind of person. I plan to take a few out of the turner tomorrow. Now, question... what if you took one out four days ahead or only two?? What happens if you leave it in the turner?
Are you talking about starting lock down 4 days vs. 2 days ahead of hatch? Are you talking about leaving the turner going through the entire lock down period? I'm not a chicken, and definately not an expert, but I bet starting lock down early vs late makes absolutely no difference. And leaving them in the turner, with it turned off shouldn't matter much. If an egg wants to hatch, it will. That being said, one of my eggs that pipped fairly early was the last one to hatch, I think because the first hatchers were playing ping pong with it. As soon as I placed it in a rubber maid container so it wasn't beign jostled, it zipped and hatched in less than an hour. GASP!!! I opened my incubator during lock down. GASP!!! I opened it many times during lock down! Because I was having wild temp swings and couldn't figure out if the thermometer was crazy, or if the thermostat was crazy, and to fish chicks out of the sponges, and even to pull the empty egg shells. Call me a meddling busy-body!

LOL I have also been told by several folks that this is fine to do. I plan to fiddle a little (did that rhyme?) but not much. I did admit to being a broody butt lifter so you know that without the guilt of disturbing her I am more apt to put my fingers in. I think that I will be moving eggs off the turner and just laying them on their sides to hatch.... provided anything is going to hatch. No counting chickens before... you know.

Quote: Heck, even with the turner on, eggs will hatch!

Just have to be vigilant that the hatched chick doesn't get under moving turner parts.

I have a cheap styrafoam incubator with a fan that I use to dry off (and keep warm) chicks - I just grab them out of the main incubator and keep them there with a bit of feed and grit for a day or so.

Locking down is over rated. Do you think a broody hen knows about locking down? :)

Got a funky little polish rooster for sale. I'm not sure of his aggression, since I haven't had him very long. He is really pretty though and would be a funny little bird to have running around. He is $10. So if anyone wants him, you can call me at (207)-779-7710 or email me at [email protected].

I think I just convinced the woman who I got my cross from to make more lol I told her I would take them all and try breeding them to each other for fun. WHAT was I thinking? Like I don't have enough to do right? She is just so pretty with those spots and huge beard. oh boy.

My daughter's birthday party and the chicken hatching are due on the same weekend. ahhh.... not sure how to work this in together. The girls are probably going to paint bird houses and decorate their own cup cakes. They are about 9. Could suggestions be sent to me via pm to tie these things together in a cool way should any hatch? This is our first year out here and I want this to be a help to her social life. Baby chicks are great if they don't DIE when the guests are there and so long as they do hatch.

LOL I have also been told by several folks that this is fine to do. I plan to fiddle a little (did that rhyme?) but not much. I did admit to being a broody butt lifter so you know that without the guilt of disturbing her I am more apt to put my fingers in. I think that I will be moving eggs off the turner and just laying them on their sides to hatch.... provided anything is going to hatch. No counting chickens before... you know.
I moved my eggs out of their carton and onto their sides at day 14. It just made sense to me as the broody doesn't stand her eggs up on end when she is incubating them.

I'm KVCC 1994.
I knew you were ahead of me but wasn't sure if you were their first or second class. Ahhh, the good ol' days!!
smile.png

I attempted to get a few chick photos today. I am bad at this. I put them in a little box, so they couldn't get away, but the shots are really too close!
These are the 2 blue Marans:

Wheaten Marans (there are 3, but not all in the photo):

Cuckoo Marans and Barnvelder:

I wonder what these are... maybe olive eggers:

Both Ameraucanas? "Crusty", the one I extracted from the egg is fluffing up! (he's on the left)

Group shot. Crusty is by the plant pot, and the brighter yellow one near him is the other assisted hatcher.

I love having chicks in the house! So much fun.

Back
Top Bottom