Maine

I am in agreement with your philosophy. Yes, chickens are capable of surviving in record cold temps. But in my wildest imaginings, I can't imagine that they are more comfortable and there is less strain on their metabolic system without added heat. So, I built a flower pot heater. Actually, hubby did the wiring. We started with a cinder block, but that didn't seem to poke out much heat at all, so switched to a flower pot with 100W bulb. Well secured, sits on floor between 2 roosts elevated above shaving level with the bottom and top sealed to keep shavings from getting inside. I plug it in when the temps are predicted to go below 10 degrees. My RIR got a touch of frost bite on the very tips of her comb back in November. All have been fine since I increased their ventilation. This morning it is -1.3 outside, and 5 degrees in their sun space. The sun has yet to rise enough to hit their space. Their door will stay closed all day today.

Tell me if you will, how do you like your Wyandottes? I'm thinking of adding some to my flock of EE, RIR, BSL. I find the EE to be bottom of the pecking order, but one of my EE has laid all winter w/o light. The rest are slackers.

ugh, i am hating winter now. my poor barred rock roosters waddles are bleeding.not sure if it is frost bite since it started yesterday. this super coldness is just too much. i'm thinking of moving to the desert during the winter. i'll just have to take the birdies with me. lol.

i'm selling a snap-fan on ebay if anyone is interested. they are fans primarily for green houses, barns, whatever. run off of solar panels or batteries super energy efficient. if you are interested let me know. i'll take 200 a fan. never used, new cost is about 280. i have two available. thanks.

Was there someone looking for Speckled Sussex chicks for the spring? Longhorn in Buxton just posted their chick order form and the SS is on it. They will be from Cackle Hatchery.

It used to be you could choose pullet or roo on most of the breeds. Some were just straight run. Not sure this year but I did notice the order forms were different. I would call and ask. I will be stopping by this weekend for hay and could find out then.

I am in agreement with your philosophy. Yes, chickens are capable of surviving in record cold temps. But in my wildest imaginings, I can't imagine that they are more comfortable and there is less strain on their metabolic system without added heat. So, I built a flower pot heater. Actually, hubby did the wiring. We started with a cinder block, but that didn't seem to poke out much heat at all, so switched to a flower pot with 100W bulb. Well secured, sits on floor between 2 roosts elevated above shaving level with the bottom and top sealed to keep shavings from getting inside. I plug it in when the temps are predicted to go below 10 degrees. My RIR got a touch of frost bite on the very tips of her comb back in November. All have been fine since I increased their ventilation. This morning it is -1.3 outside, and 5 degrees in their sun space. The sun has yet to rise enough to hit their space. Their door will stay closed all day today.

Tell me if you will, how do you like your Wyandottes? I'm thinking of adding some to my flock of EE, RIR, BSL. I find the EE to be bottom of the pecking order, but one of my EE has laid all winter w/o light. The rest are slackers.
The January thaw was nice wasn’t it? Now we are back to another cold snap. I waited until it warmed up a little today to let the girls out. The coop stayed pretty comfortable overnight with the ceramic bulb. The flowerpot heater sounds like a good alternative too.

My GL Wyandottes are both so sweet. Not loud at all. In fact they have a different sound than the others. More like a peep than a cluck. The flock in general is pretty quiet unless they all need to lay at the same time and insist on using only one nesting box. Then there is a lot of noise :) The loudest by far is one of the EEs and the Barred Rock. Both of my EEs began laying in the fall. The rest of the flock slowly started up earlier in January and we are now getting 4-5 eggs per day from the flock of 7.

I can't stand this cold weather, but I am loving my cheetah hand-warmers during morning chores.

Today we collected 8 eggs. We have not had that many in one day since December 6th, so things are looking up. I will be interested to see if egg counts slow down again after this cold week, or if the increasing daylight is the deciding factor.

Daylight seems to be affective the quantity of eggs, but I've noticed a decrease in size during cold snaps. Eggs are .2-.4 oz smaller the day after a cold snap. A day of warm and they're back up to par the next day.

Back
Top Bottom