Maine

Thank you, but I'm looking for (a long shot) to replace the temperament from my Murray McMurray Speckled Sussex.

No problem. I thought someone was looking but could not remember the details.

Also if anyone is looking for just a few turkey poults Longhorn will also have some. The heritage breeds are $9 each. So if you only need a few this is a great way to get some. Off the top of my head they can get Bourbon Red, Black Spanish, Royal Palm and Blue Slate. They also offer Bronze Breasted and a Large White (whatever that is) for around $6.50 ea. These are the fast growing non-heritage type.

It looks like a little frostbite to me. Unfortunately, a couple of my chickens got a touch of frostbite too during the last cold snap. I did a lot of researching and looked at a lot of photos to confirm. From what I have read, just leave it alone and the damaged parts will fall off eventually. Keep an eye on it for infection, but don't remove the damaged parts as it will actually protect the remaining comb from further frostbite. Don't be surprised to see some blood when the damaged skin falls off. I was shocked to see some blood on the feeder. It took me a moment to realize that it was from the frost damaged comb of one of my girls. The outer, damaged skin fell off and caused some bleeding. Then it healed over pretty quickly. Luckily, none of the others in the flock noticed and started pecking, but that is something to look out for.

I am frustrated because most of what I read on BYC state that heating the coop is not necessary as long as you have cold hardy breeds and they are housed in a draft free and well-ventilated coop. My coop has plenty of ventilation, but two of my girls experienced a little frostbite on their combs anyway. I finally decided to do what I felt was right and added some heat. I use a reptile heat lamp in a well secured and protected ceramic socket. I only turn it on when temperatures dip below 20˚F. Now everyone is more comfortable (including me). When temps dropped to -18˚F the coop stayed at 9˚F.

It's funny, on BYC it seems almost taboo to heat. However, every person who has chickens locally that I've spoken with looks at me like I'm crazy when I mention the mere idea of not heating. During the last cold snap I added heat. I turned the lamp back on last night, too. You have to do what makes you comfortable. I use the same benchmark temp as you... when it dips below 20 degrees it goes on.

It's funny, on BYC it seems almost taboo to heat. However, every person who has chickens locally that I've spoken with looks at me like I'm crazy when I mention the mere idea of not heating. During the last cold snap I added heat. I turned the lamp back on last night, too. You have to do what makes you comfortable. I use the same benchmark temp as you... when it dips below 20 degrees it goes on.
I have not heated and don't feel like I need to. The coop is well ventilated and it's about the same temp inside as outside, with no draft on the girls. They are healthy, doing "chicken things" and not even puffed up. Not even during the 14 below zero morning.

I have not heated and don't feel like I need to. The coop is well ventilated and it's about the same temp inside as outside, with no draft on the girls. They are healthy, doing "chicken things" and not even puffed up. Not even during the 14 below zero morning.

That's amazing! (And I mean that genuinely... tone can get lost online.) I wish mine were that hardy and/or my coop that good! My girls stopped moving around and were just huddling in a corner, not eating, etc. when it got in the single digits last cold snap. They perked back up when the lamp went on. Do you notice some of your breeds do better with the cold than others? My barred rocks take just about anything in stride... seem to be really hardy birds. The poor little comets, not so much.

That's amazing!  (And I mean that genuinely... tone can get lost online.)  I wish mine were that hardy and/or my coop that good!  My girls stopped moving around and were just huddling in a corner, not eating, etc. when it got in the single digits last cold snap.  They perked back up when the lamp went on.  Do you notice some of your breeds do better with the cold than others?  My barred rocks take just about anything in stride... seem to be really hardy birds.  The poor little comets, not so much.

Thanks. I just have 5. Two leghorns--who do have a couple of frost bitten points of their combs each--two barred rocks and one Wayandotte. They are all second or third generation hatchery birds (I think) and I don't know if they were products of hardy parentage or not. They all seem to be pretty content with their lot. The leghorns are by far more food driven and I'm sure they are planning a jailbreak and a hunt as soon as I let my guard down.

I feed fermented organic layer pellets with barley, BOSS, and wheat. They get meat every other day or so (a friend gave me deer heart this hunting season) greens, and sprouts.

I think the frost bite happened when the first good storm we had blew snow into the coop, raising the humidity. I stapled up plastic to keep that from happening again and stapled up plastic all around the run...not just the north side. I plan to do some serious tweaking to the coop--a "ceiling" to replace the stapled plastic and running electricity to keep water and fermented feed from freezing, next year. The coop and run are "all in one" but I do keep the water in the run part which has more ventilation than the coop end.

One of my roos (the one suspect of being either a Barred Rock or Dominique) has a touch of frostbite. We live in Maine, and I think it's inevitable. They are tough critters, and the little bits of gray on the ends of his comb will either hear or fall off. The photo of that Buff Orpington roo appeared to me as a heavier dose of frostbite, but obviously nothing that's threatening his health.

Like everyone says, do what is comfortable for you. I don't heat my coop, and the birds are all active and seem healthy and happy. Yes, the roo got himself some gray spots on the extreme tips of his comb, but my coop is in a large barn. It stays noticeably warmer in there than outside, and almost no draft. I couldn't heat it effectively if I tried, so the proper shelter and plenty of shavings and hay are what they get. Heat or don't heat, your call, but don't second guess yourselves.

I second guess myself every **** morning when I look at the thermometer... Why do I choose to live in Maine in the winter? I wouldn't mind having a retirement home where I could go to garden until spring? I LOVE Maine, but could do without the cold winter stuff.

Back
Top Bottom