Maine

What a good chicken mama
smile.png

I'll bet that hairdryer felt great!

5/5 girls squatting now. Have gone from 5 eggs/week to 10 eggs/week even though only 2 girls still laying. It won't be long before we're swimming in eggs. Girls playing outside today because I threw a couple of handfulls of millet for them.

I had ducks in the bathtub last year. I know the birds that I dry for show or whatever do enjoy it and I still feel foolish doing it just as I did the first time.

Today was a great day for getting chores done. Scraping, cleaning, small repairs, new shavings, debris and reorganizing all done, all waterers cleaned out, pools set out for the ducks and geese to bathe in -- definitely the highlight of the day. The new shavings were a close second place. Random ice chunks chucked far from the door and not only were birds put out [some tossed out forcibly] but they also got fed outside fresh foods. It was so nice here for a bit they all enjoyed the walking around, rummaging through the foods and taking baths. Those silly geese ran for a patch of dead grass directly after their baths. They seemed disappointed to not find any green to pinch. The garden was fertilized with what I could clean out and tomorrow I tackle the goose house so long as this weather holds. I think I am going to make myself into a pretzel for luck and wish that this kind of weather is the trend for the next two months. It sure would help my woodpile last.

@IZZYBELLA so cute!!!!
2665.png
2665.png

Still only 2/5 laying...really can't wait to get some colored eggs ;)

They are quite happy outside today in this "heat" wave.

Coop Chick... great minds think alike!
thumbsup.gif

Well, another chicken first in this house! A chicken has been in our bathtub. One of my BRs had a big clump of poop frozen in her back feathers. Poor thing kept trying to get it off, but it was not going to come. Warm paper towels didn't loosen it and since I was home by myself the easiest place to deal with it was our bath. She was so good... stayed right there while I cleaned her and then snuggled right into my lap while I blew her dry! She honestly appeared to enjoy the hair drier. The things we all do for our animals. :)
LOVE IT!! We haven't had to do that yet but I have no qualms about it! When we had the chicks in the house, a few had poopy butt. I'd run a little water over their bums then wrap them in a facecloth to finish drying and hand them to whoever was sitting watching tv. DD sometimes had 2 asleep on her lap.

When my daughter so Ash's ducks in the tub, she said, "Can WE get ducks?!" She was 17 at the time!

Such a nice day, we had 8 eggs today. I so wanted to string up the netting over the playground for the girls. However I had agreed to help my sister & dad do some cleaning out at my brother's house. Sadly we lost him the week before Christmas. Apparently he was at a very low point in his life but did not let on to any of us or his friends. Still very difficult to go into the house, no matter how many happy memories were made there.

Coop Chick. I'm so very sorry that you lost your brother. That must have been extremely hard for you. Glad you and your sister and your dad could clean the house together instead of it falling to just one of you.

8/14 eggs? Not bad. I'm 2/5 still, but the other 3 are squatting and showing other signs of being ready to start any day now. Count up to 10 this week, compared to 5 a week ago.

We've been dogless for 10 years now. Last night, hubby brought me his tablet to show me a cute puppy... and again this morning to show a clip of a dog waiting at the mail box, and taking the mail from the mail man's hand to carry it back to the front door. I'm thinking... what's up with this????? He actually stated that it would be nice to have a dog again! Could be that he'll be ready to go down that road before I am, though in my wildest imagination, I never saw this discussion coming!!!

We had a lovely baby shower in MA today for my daughter. Came back to bad news. My husband let the chickens out to enjoy the day and they got attacked by the dog who lives next door! The dog cornered 2 of them in the nesting boxes and the rest of them escaped in various trees. They are all back in the coop. There are a few feathers in the coop but there are a lot of feathers outside by one of the trees. Something happened. They all look ok but I guess time will tell. I really have to build a run for them now. I've had them 10 months and they've been attacked by a hawk and now a dog.

@CoopChick719 ((HUGS))

Hoping for my other girls to start laying soon too

@lazy gardener so hard to start over again. I was ready before DH...we finally did it a yr later...best pup ever!!
2665.png
2665.png

Back
Top Bottom