Maine

They are here to stay. Been here many years- took out neighbor's beehive 2 winters ago, saw a nice size one down the road scratching a tree last Spring, a hunter killed one of the 2 young ones last year and this one was small enough that mom may have let him go on alone for this year's cub. They are beautiful creatures that I don't mind being around so long as they don't come for a buffet
1f61d.png

Ok so I know I have asked this once before. But my coop is well on its way now and time to find out for sure what I should do. I live in central Maine, 8x12 coop, 12 8 week old isa browns. Should I insulate the coop or put plastic between the inside and outside walls. I really want them to be comfortable this winter. They will have ventilation where the roof meets the walls and windows that won't be in in the summer and a screened door for summer and a door in the winter. I just don't know what to do for keeping them warm.....

I'm a little late to the insulation party, but I insulated and love it. I am a ventilation advocate and have double front doors on my coop (one for a cone fully screened). Unless the temps go below freezing, the screen door is open year round. Even with th door open, the insulation makes a difference.

It is my mission to get the run completed tomorrow so I can get the ducklings and quail out of the house. Neither will use the run (it's for the adult ducks and chickens), but the ducklings would be in the way and I think the noise would freak out the quail. On a separate note, last night was the first night I turned off the lights to go to bed and the quail didn't think the world was coming to an end. Silly birds.

So long BYB and chickens. DW does not want the birds around. Too messy, too much time invested in taking care of them, they are dirt bathing in her flower gardens, their pen takes up too much lawn, spending too much money, and the list goes on. So the birds went to brother and sister-in-law. The coop and run and feeders will go to my son. I enjoyed my association with all of you, and the things you taught me. I miss the rooster's actions and vocalizations but I will get over it. I hope the other roosters at b-i-l's don't kill him.

Back
Top Bottom