Maine

I'm expecting a shipment from cackle that's shipping wed 3/15. I'll let you know how it goes!
thumbsup.gif

and welcome to BYC!!
i see you joined in Nov but this is your first post

I've been lurking for quite a while. Just moved to Maine, needed the real estate before I got the girls. Never had anything to input until now!

I've been lurking for quite a while. Just moved to Maine, needed the real estate before I got the girls. Never had anything to input until now!
Great to have you!
i am in NH but not far from ME at all, maybe like 30-45 minutes depending on where

What part of Maine are you in? I live way up north in a very small town of Bridgewater,in between Houlton and Presque Isle.It is 12;30 pm and its -1 and the wind is blowing.Have had heaters on in my coop since yesterday and its only 19 in there.I have only silkies and I do worry about them when it gets this cold and the wind is blowing. My coop is insulated but when its this cold and you live on top of a hill its hard to keep at 25 which is where I like to keep it.Hope it warms up soon I have chicks hatching in a couple weeks under the broodies not worried them keeping warm its hard to keep the chicks water from freezing. And yes welcome.What breeds of chicks did you order The Maine Poultry connection on facebook is a wonderful site,its only for people in Maine,its drama free,no bad language.Such friendly people and no one is ever judged and you can ask anything and you will get an answer. Last year we started an auction to give two kids a free coop with chickens,feed and eveything else they needed to get going raising chickens,it was awsome. All they had to do to enter was tell why they wanted chickens.Will be starting another one soon

Last edited:
I'm in the Berwick area. I got some Rhode Island's, buff orpingtons, sex links and some Easter eggers. Once I get a hang of raising chickens I'd like to get some silkies! We will have to see how it goes. Gotta put my kids to work this spring and summer!

I'm in the Berwick area. I got some Rhode Island's, buff orpingtons, sex links and some Easter eggers. Once I get a hang of raising chickens I'd like to get some silkies! We will have to see how it goes. Gotta put my kids to work this spring and summer!

With those breeds, you'll have tons of eggs. Silkies are pretty good layers too, when they aren't going broody.
I'm up in the Mountains area, but my husband is from Berwick originally. You could just walk to New Hampshire from what I remember. It was fun.

:welcome
Great to have you join us!

Hey all from Clinton,
New to this site. Been working on the wife to allow me to get some chickens. Finally bought some "Americana's from Tractor supply. Fairly sure they're actually Easter Eggers but that's okay. Received 11 out of the 10 I ordered and lost 3 due to transport shock. One died suddenly the other 2 I spent a couple of sleepless nights trying to get them to drink and eat without being hand fed.
The remaining 8 are bright eyed and happy as can be. Bought a coop which will be okay for now. Definitely will need something much better for the winter but this will give them a summer "camp" to enjoy while I build a custom built one.

Back
Top Bottom