Mainiacs - I know there are a few out there!

Hello fellow Mainer!!! I'm in Mechanic Falls (near Lewiston/Auburn) and have has chickens for at least 6 years now. I know there are a few Mainers on here, so you are not alone.
smile.png

Congrats on deciding to get into chickens. They are a lot of fun and completely addicting! You will find a ton of information on here and a lot of helpful people, too.
big_smile.png

Hi Mainers,

I'm new to Maine but not to the chicken world. Restarting my flock in West Paris, just north of you, frozen feathers.

Luella, I sent a PM to you about the Chantecler chicks. I don't know if it went through since sent messages don't seem to be saved when I send a PM. If you didn't get it, I'll know soon if I'll have extra chicks beyond what I've already promised.

Wayne

Hi Wayne!

Welcome to Maine! You're not far from me at all. I go to Paris farmers Union in South Paris, was there today in fact...those little piggy chickens of mine!

Maybe we could do some trading in the future. What breeds do you have? Mine are listed below, but I have more in the bator and brooder, so my flock is always subject to change...lol.

Thanks Frozen Feathers,

I've been in Maine for a year now but only got settled into a place with room for garden and chickens this past December. I have a neighbor close by so I can't keep too many birds. I'll keep about 6 or 8 hens which will supply way more than enough eggs for me. I've got 25 Chantecler pullet chicks (1 week old) in the brooder box now and I'll have to find homes for most of them.

I had this breed when I lived in the Adirondacks and the very small combs helps this breed get through very cold winters. Let me know if you'ld like a couple of them. I offered some to a member here but she's about 5 hours north of here so I expect I'll have some extra.

Wayne

Hi Wayne -

Thanks - I did get the PM, just waiting to hear if you have extras!

Everyone -
Do you know where you can purchase actual chicks without putting an order in? Do any of the feed/farm stores have chicks "instock"?

Louella

Louella-
All the feed stores I've come across have pre-order chicks only. You can check out the Uncle Henrys, they have both online and in magazine advertising now. Most any convenience store carries the magazine (it comes out every Thursday) or you can check Craigslist. Those are the two best places to find chicks without having to order.
smile.png

I am in Winterport(not far from Bangor) and will be getting an order at the end of the month. I am planning to sell off some of the order. I ordered Australorps, EEs, RIR, Buff Orps, and Light brahmas, all pullets.

Back
Top Bottom