Maintaining a Kiddie Pool Duck Pond

MamacatPatch

Crowing
15 Years
Jul 10, 2007
Ok, we've set up a kiddie pool for our three ducks. We manage to dump the whole thing [which is NOT easy!], hose it out and put in fresh water about once a week .... SO FAR.

Anyway, is there anything that can be added to the 'pond' to help keep it clean naturally and won't harm my duckies? Like, uh.....baking soda? Apple cider vinegar? Orange cleaner? Hydrogen peroxide? Right now when it gets to the green stage, it's a mosquito heaven!!! YIPES. UGH. UGH.
hmm.png

The only OTHER option I can think of 'might' be a pump/filter thingie that runs continually, but if it's too costly or troublesome, I would probably resort to plan A again!

Ideas? Experiences? Links?

Thanks!

Opps, I think I posted this twice! Can't figure out how to delete it!

Last edited:
I usually dump mine and fill it with fresh water everyday or every other day. It's a hassle, but for me it's the easiest way to make sure the ducks have clean, fresh water.

You could put a drain in it....HomeDepot has some cheap bathtub drains, and you will need to get enough pvc pipe and the elbow connectors so you can drain it away from the area. Place the pool on pallets or something so there is room for the elbow in the pipe.

Also I would drain it at least one a day, might get by every other day with just three ducks.

Pam

I, too, just manage the dump. A little hassle, but not so bad when only doing it a couple of times a week. I have also learned to put it next to my garden (which is fenced) and dump it into my garden. I move it around so that at some point the whole thing gets duck poo water!

I haven't mastered installing a drain in the pool. I use a two hose method of siphoning. I get the water running through two hoses connected together, then quickly separate them and put the disconnected end of the second hose underwater. Usually the suction holds and I weight it down with a rock at the lowest part of the pool. The secnd hose has to be draining onto a lower level than the pool, but in our yard that's where the vegetable garden is.
Wifezilla should check in here soon, she has been developing something which may be more like what you have in mind, although it's using a garden pond as opposed to a kiddie pool. Search Duckoponics and you will find it.

I will check that out! I'm thinking a siphoning system would be ideal too....we have a garden close to the duck pen, maybe 50 feet, but using an old garden hose might work....get the siphon going and have water IN and water OUT all the time. We have a well so that wouldn't be that costly I wouldn't think.

I love your DANCES WITH DUCKS and CHILLIN WITH MY PEEPS!!! Me too!
lol.png

I siphon mine out with a short hose. I put the hose in the pool until its full of water and the air is out. Then put my thumb over one end and place it on the ground outside of the pool and let it drain that way. It takes a little longer, but saves the back. I drain mine over night. Wash and refill it in the morning. With the hose you can have it drain in different spots so one spot doesn't get too muddy.

I use an irrigation siphon tube to drain mine....it gets most of the water out and much faster than a regular garden hose. Then I dump the rest out, Unless you know someone who used to use siphon tubes to irrigate on their farm like we used to I don't know where you'd find one.

Back
Top Bottom