Maintaining a Small Pond?

OhTisLove

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 21, 2009
Hi guys,

I'm a first time duck owner, and setting up my duck enclosure as the babies are growing. They won't be free range, due to safety issues, so I am in the process of constructing a large run for them.

In it, I'd like to have a small pond for them. Just one of those pre-formed kit ponds (I've found one on c-list for $50.) that you drop into the ground and are done with. Like this: http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/2001970/preformedPond_Full.jpg I'm guessing it's between 150 and 200 gallons?

However, I know ducks are messy messy messy. So I'm hoping that someone has experience with keeping this specific type of pond clean. Daily dumping is obviously not an option, as it would be set into the ground. Siphoning is an option, as the duck pen is essentially in the garden, and the water would be put to good use.

But what I really want to know is: Does anyone have a filter system that is handling the mess of ducks in a pond this size?? Plugging in a filter is just the easy sort of maintenance lazy me is looking to do!

Did you buy it? Make it? How many ducks are using the pond? Do you have to scrape out the bottom every so often? Do the ducks have limited access?

Thanks! I've searched this board a bit, and read about keeping BIG ponds clean, but what I'm really interested in is ideas and experience from people using these smaller pre-formed ponds.

Last edited:
I only have one duck that belongs to my son and I put a small tub in the pen for him so it's easy to clean but a friend of mine built a pond (inground type) for his ducks and after a short time he decided to just get a kiddy pool because he said it smelled really bad and referred to it as being duck soop.

Thanks, I'm aware that ducks are messy and ponds of any size get dirty fast. But I'm looking for people who have a system that's working for their small pond. I'm really not into the idea of a kiddy pool.

Massachusetts. And the pond is going to be in a mostly shaded location, so I'm hoping that that will help cut down on algae.

The algae might be a good thing. It's a green plant. The ducks may very well like to eat it. I was visiting some family in another state and their neighbors have ducks. They were swimming in the ditch that surrounds the house. They were eating the algae like crazy. The peoples hope was, that the ducks would clean it up. That's exactly what they were doing. If you put your pond in total shade you might get the black algae growing that isn't as healthy as the green.
idunno.gif
Good luck!!!

sandyj

Great post!

I am considering sinking a much smaller version of this preformed pond liner in the ground under my apple trees. My plan is to drill a hole in the bottom of the pond, and use a plug on a rope/chain. Then I want to dig the hole deep, line with crushed rock and put the liner in on top, backfill around the pond and use pavers around the pond (to prevent excess mud). We have very sandy soil so the idea is to be able to avoid using a kiddie pool, have a pond that I can drain/rinse/refill and have the duck-bomb enhanced water benefit my apple trees.

I can't wait to hear how this type of pond works for other duck lovers.

Ok, what I would do is put in whatever size pond you want. I think the larger the better because the more water you have the easier it will be to maintain. I would then buy a coal filter that is much larger than would normally be nedded for the pond size you use. The larger the filter that more filtering it can do. For example if you get a 400 Gal pond I would use something like a 1700 gall filter. Instead of having just the pond I would add a " natural bog" area to it. The come pre form at Home depot and Lowe's and they connect to the main pond. you can plant bog plants that naturally thrive in just such a situation. Basically you would place a pump in the lowest point in the pond then run a hose to the filter then once the water is filtered you will send the filtered water thru the bog. At any pond store you can find a barley bale (5x5) that you should put in the bog. The water will flow over the bale and "reseed" the filter and pond water whit most all of what it needs to maintain balance. Over time you may need to include some white rocks sold at the pond store to the pond as they reduce the harmful urine in the water. The water test kits are not pricey and will make all the difference in the would to your maintaining a balanced pond. I would also consult with the pond store as to what fish you could include to digest some of the duck doo. Good luck. Sound hard, it's not. You'll love it and so will your ducks!!!

Ps
I don't know if you have any chickens but we recently put in a water fountain for the chickens and dogs and they LOVE it. It would be a good design because I think the ducks wouldn't enjoy swimming in it.

8175_dscf2621_edited.jpg

Last edited:
I'm from Mass too and we actually have a pond like that. Put it in several years ago...way before ducks were a thought. My husband has actually done a lot of research on this same topic and he told me he found the stuff we needed online. I'll have him post the links here for you tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom