Maintenance to avoid flystrike

Khalpers

Songster
5 Years
Jul 8, 2018
Nashville, TN
Hi friends. This is a sad post, but I hope it might help someone. We lost our 5-year-old head hen Sweet Tango today to a horrible and preventable condition called flystrike. I am reminding my chicken friends to check those fluffy butts and keep them clean, use fly traps around the coop and run, and clean up droppings. I didn’t realize what it was and was treating her for worms. I don’t wish this on anyone. Her death was horrible and painful. Please don’t be like me. Here she is in better days.

Attachments

• C62AA694-3CE5-4C03-9C4A-4BD7325B0C67.jpeg
    C62AA694-3CE5-4C03-9C4A-4BD7325B0C67.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
Sorry for your loss. She was a pretty girl. I was just wondering if I should trim some of my Wyandotte's poopy butt fluff. I will take your advice and do so, along with hanging some fly paper.

Sorry for your loss. She was a pretty girl. I was just wondering if I should trim some of my Wyandotte's poopy butt fluff. I will take your advice and do so, along with hanging some fly paper.
I would first investigate why her bottom is messy. Does she roost? Does she have parasites or another condition causing diarrhea? Vent gleet? It will likely reoccur bless the problem is found.

Fly spray on those floofy butts would be helpful as well I’m sure.

Very sorry to hear you lost your lovely feathered friend.
Just a thought on fly traps: place them away from coop and run so you can draw the flies away from chicken living space. Aside from the horrendous odor of fly traps hanging nearby, you might be inadvertently pulling flies from nearby properties, so maintain enough distance to capture flies but not bring them near your chickens, if possible.

Very sorry to hear you lost your lovely feathered friend.
Just a thought on fly traps: place them away from coop and run so you can draw the flies away from chicken living space. Aside from the horrendous odor of fly traps hanging nearby, you might be inadvertently pulling flies from nearby properties, so maintain enough distance to capture flies but not bring them near your chickens, if possible.
That’s great advice. Will do. Thank you!

I would first investigate why her bottom is messy. Does she roost? Does she have parasites or another condition causing diarrhea? Vent gleet? It will likely reoccur bless the problem is found.

Good questions, and thanks for your concern. I believe she's healthy. They roost on a china closet actually, so that might be why the poop sticks. Although, my flock consists of 2 Australorps, 3 Rhoad Island Reds, and 2 Wyandottes. Only the Wyandottes have this issue, and the smallest one moreso. I wonder if they naturally have a tougher time cleaning back there.

While I was typing this, the dirty girl in question let out an egg call that sprung me upright. I finally found her secret nest! Sorry to get off topic there. Just eggcited!!

PXL_20220626_205937615.jpg
PXL_20220626_210049175.jpg

I agree.

I’m about to examine my remaining three now. She’s always gotten a poopy butt in summer. She’s on the larger side. (Never feed table scaps and the only treats they get are grubs — promise!) I’m going to look up vent gleet so I can identify it in the future. Thank you so much for the advice.

Good questions, and thanks for your concern. I believe she's healthy. They roost on a china closet actually, so that might be why the poop sticks. Although, my flock consists of 2 Australorps, 3 Rhoad Island Reds, and 2 Wyandottes. Only the Wyandottes have this issue, and the smallest one moreso. I wonder if they naturally have a tougher time cleaning back there.

While I was typing this, the dirty girl in question let out an egg call that sprung me upright. I finally found her secret nest! Sorry to get off topic there. Just eggcited!!

View attachment 3164288View attachment 3164289
I bet the closet is your issue. I have that problem with my older lady who likes to roost on top of the coop. I would add some perches that are higher than the closet. Chickens naturally like to roost as high as possible, so having taller roosts might encourage proper roosting without you hav to train them, or remove the cabinet.
I would bet that they have the issue more than others just because they are so floofy. 😉

Nice job on the best! Woot! That’s a stock pile of eggs!

I agree.

I’m about to examine my remaining three now. She’s always gotten a poopy butt in summer. She’s on the larger side. (Never feed table scaps and the only treats they get are grubs — promise!) I’m going to look up vent gleet so I can identify it in the future. Thank you so much for the advice.
Happy I can help! I’m having similar issues with hens that roost, no parasites, only veggies scraps, and are healthy. Wondering if worms is a problem.

Back
Top Bottom