Major attack - is this a bear?

Pics
After losing a chicken a day to a fox/foxes when free ranging, we thought we had the problem sorted by only letting them out for 30 minutes before sunset. Between being locked up last night and checking this morning, something visited the coop and tore a big hole in the 1/4" hardware cloth, getting 11 of our 16 birds (4 ISA browns, two bantams, two guineas and our three barred rock hens). We're left with two guineas, a bantam, a barred rock cockerel and one ISA brown hen.

Any idea what could have got through the cloth? Claw marks on the sides in various spots as well and a few black hairs left as evidence. Thinking maybe a raccoon (though didn't think they could get through the cloth) or a bear?View attachment 2343917View attachment 2343918View attachment 2343919View attachment 2343920View attachment 2343921
5 claw-marks in all your pictures... rules OUT feral Dogs, Coyote, Wolf & by size, rules out Fox or Weasle. That leaves front-foot, 5-clawed families of predators:
Bear/Wolverine very possible. Racoon & Martin aren't likely from 3+inches wide clawmarks.
Cat family: Bobcat/Cougar. You don't believe you've got any cougars left. So, I'm leaning toward small Bear, Wolverine, Bobcat.

5 claw-marks in all your pictures... rules OUT feral Dogs, Coyote, Wolf & by size, rules out Fox or Weasle. That leaves front-foot, 5-clawed families of predators:
Bear/Wolverine very possible. Racoon & Martin aren't likely from 3+inches wide clawmarks.
Cat family: Bobcat/Cougar. You don't believe you've got any cougars left. So, I'm leaning toward small Bear, Wolverine, Bobcat.

I hadn't realized that some of them have different numbers of claws--good point!

In this case, OP already found out for sure it is a bear. The post was hiding on page 4 of the thread:
confirmed it's a bear (or multiple). I followed the trail of feathers into the woods, found various parts of birds and eventually half a guinea. Then I stood in bear scat (cleverly wearing my slippers...). About five feet further in, I saw one or more bears - looked like a cub or two and a mother. Mystery solved! Decided the best move was to back out, as I didn't really want to stare them down.

I know this has all been solved but gotta get my 2 cents in too ! For a temporary measure til you get your hot wire up or for anyone that needs a temp. Human pee around the run. Bears dont like the way you smell. Just be prepared to drink a gallon of water if you have a good sized coop/run !
Phew got that covered then, husband likes the "freedom" of going outside with nature 😬

Have a somewhat frequent black bear that walks down our road. Showed up yesterday, thankfully it stayed away from our coop.

After losing a chicken a day to a fox/foxes when free ranging, we thought we had the problem sorted by only letting them out for 30 minutes before sunset. Between being locked up last night and checking this morning, something visited the coop and tore a big hole in the 1/4" hardware cloth, getting 11 of our 16 birds (4 ISA browns, two bantams, two guineas and our three barred rock hens). We're left with two guineas, a bantam, a barred rock cockerel and one ISA brown hen.

Any idea what could have got through the cloth? Claw marks on the sides in various spots as well and a few black hairs left as evidence. Thinking maybe a raccoon (though didn't think they could get through the cloth) or a bear?View attachment 2343917View attachment 2343918View attachment 2343919View attachment 2343920View attachment 2343921
I'm going with bear. They usually go after the feed but wont pass on a chicken if they're available. I live in the blue ridge,we have bears. Over the hardwae cloth i put livestock fence panels secured with 2 inch barbed fence staples. And another 2x4 screwed to the post over the panels. The panels are made of very heavy guage welded wire, it is a quarter inch In diameter, And still worry about the bears.

Back
Top Bottom