Major Differences between Dutch/Seramas/Old English

Huny

Songster
11 Years
Nov 14, 2008
Sunny Southern Arizona
So every now and again I will glance at a Serama picture, and wonder, wait, that looks like a Dutch. Or I will see a Dutch (and not looking at ear lobes) I think, Oh an Old English. Can the experts post major (and minor!) differences between the three? Leg Colors, etc.?

Thanks!

The biggest difference is the tail.

OE

- dubbed
- red earlobes
- tail carried at a 45 degree angle, sickles moderatley curved but not fully arched
- moderate hackle/saddle feathering
- very muscular
- hard feathered
- wings carring above thigh

DUTCH

- not dubbed
- white ear lobes
- sickles well curved and long
- greater hackle/saddle feathering that flows gracefully together
- average muscling
- soft feathered
- wings concealing part of leg (I think)

SERAMA

- not dubbed
- red earlobes
- tail carried at or above 90 degrees, sickles straight
- moderate hackle/saddle feathering
- muscular breast
- medium feathering
- near vertical wing carriage

Alot of the dutch out there now are from hatcheries such as most of the mille fluers, porcelains, all those colors and most of those colors were created using OEGB. To me a good dutch looks more like a leghorn than an OEGB.

Ok so half the pictures on Feathersite the seramas have white, the other half have red. Is this why these aren't standardized yet and in the standards book?

Just a defect. A lot of OE have white ear lobes too. They're SUPPOSED to be red, but that doesn't stop white from popping up. Only breed birds with red and the problem will go away. Turquoise or pink is ok in heavy producing females.

Quote:
Good info. Seramas tails shouldn't be carried above 90 degrees though, only an exact 90
wink.png
Here is a drawing of an OEGB. I think this is what they are supposed to look like, but I just took it off www.ideal-poultry.com. (I hope they don't mind, I am using i for informational purposes)
23256_brownredoegb.jpg

And what I think is an ideal Dutch? I got it off http://www.dutchbantamsocietyamerica.com/
23256_dutch.jpg

And an ideal serama from
http://scnaonline.org/standards_and_judging.php
23256_serama_standard_male.jpg

Hope that helps!
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom