Major full crop?

Peppermint

Songster
9 Years
May 25, 2010
Woodinville, Washington
I'm brooding my second batch of chicks, 5 days old. They are just getting over their jet lag and getting really active after being super sleepy chicks for four days. Today I noticed one of the chicks has a gigantically huge full crop. Palpating it I feel chick crumbles...not rock hard but firm, nothing I could (or would) massage around. I've been watching this chick all day, and the crop size hasn't gone down. The rest of the chicks fill and empty their crops as I think they should.

My question: how long does it take to empty a crop? This chick is still eating and pooping, which I assume means just let it be. But just wanting to make sure I shouldn't restrict it's food for a few hours...or be thinking of something more concerning.

Thanks for your advice!

Some chicks are just piggers they will keep their crop full at all times while others seem to take breaks between.
I wouldn't worry about it until you see it acting oddly ......good luck

That must be the case. She prefers to constantly scratch around in the shavings eating small pieces, rather than the feeder full of chick crumbles
gig.gif
I hope those shavings that she's eating don't impact her crop. Other than that, she's acting pretty normal. Might need to name her Ms. Piggy!

If you think she's gobbling up shavings, you might switch to a different bedding for a while and see if that helps the crop issue.

Back
Top Bottom