Major Mortality rate what could be wrong with my flock? HELP PLEASE

Quote:
I have been reading and reading trying to see what was wrong. She didnt write about her sister passing, im assuming it was a different post. I am so sorry to hear that. I hope things are better for her animals.

Lately I have been receiving a lot of pms from people wanting me to post what the end result was. Well the end result was that the FDA didn't know what it was, it wasn't New Castle or Avian Influenza so they didn't really care. We lost a few more birds last fall, then nothing. This spring we had 5 left. We culled them, and plan to start over soon. We still have the guineas and the ducks, have added a few more ducks and nothing happened to them, so whatever it is seems to be done with. So that's the update, that's why I never posted it because we really never found out anything.

My sister passed away the day after thanksgiving. I was working the black Friday event when she was rushed to the hospital. We made it there only 15 minutes before she took her last breath. Here is the link to those posts if anyone is interested to read about it

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=425268 this one is from right after she passed

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=467727 this one is from a few weeks ago

sometimes its easier then others, but its always hard

edited because I missed that someone had asked about my sister, so I added the links

Last edited:
Quote:
I am so very sorry for your loss Melissa, I too lost someone at Thanksgiving. It was my mother, many many years ago. (1992) Her cancer was diagnosed just weeks before she passed. I was in Japan at the time and by the time I was able to get to her, she was already gone, but on life-support for several days. Her mother (in 1971) was murdered, and she regretted never being able to say goodbye, so she told the drs and the family that everyone was to be able to say goodbye no matter how long it took to get to her. I arrived, said goodbye and then we gave the order for her life support to be removed. It was a very difficult thing to witness, and one that I would hate to have to ever repeat, but at the same time, it gave me some peace knowing that she was no longer in pain. I have never lost a sibling, and I am sure I would take it rough depending on which one. I hope, when the time comes, that I will be able to lean on the friends and family that I chosen to surround myself with, and find comfort in knowing that everything must and will come to an end even if we don't think it is the right time. I hope that you are having more good days than bad, and that you continue your journey to acceptance at a steady pace. For some it gets easier over the years and for some it doesn’t. But for all, the good memories will always start to pop up more frequently than the bad ones.
hugs.gif

Oh, and that sucks about the chickens. Glad to hear it wasn't one the FDA was concerned about, but I'm sure it would have been nice to figure it out. I'm assuming that if you get new chickens you'll start small in case there is anything left in the soil....?

Back
Top Bottom