Majority of eggs pipped at wrong end

Mariahtaylor

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2022
I was incubating 5 of my American buff eggs and 3 out of five pipped at the wrong end and only those 3 were “sticky”.I had two assist them with their hatch. Other two hatched out completely normal. I can not for the life of me figure out what would have caused this. I hatch goslings regularly and have not had this previously. I have a hard time believing that three eggs is a coincidence though. We did have a power outage on day 16 but I had the generator up and running right away. Does anyone have any clues as to what might have went wrong. Setting eggs again next week and now I’m nervous.

Congrats on your babies! :celebrate

So ALL of my (hatching) experience is with chickens and so is the referenece link I'm sharing.. I do believe some things may extrapolate across species with regards to incubation anamalies possibly varrying on what day they might occur etc..

Possible causes of sticky chick and malposition are seen starting on page 53..

https://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guideen__053407700_1525_26062017.pdf

I notice high humidity being a significant possibility.. with chicks, too high of humidity can allow (small air cells) to much room for the embryo to grow allowing it to get too large to turn into position for hatching.

Since you usually hatch goslings you should have your hiumdity all figured out, (were you using calibrated stuff, or just plugged in under old paramteres without verifying accuracy is still valid?).. Begs the next question.. if using an auto turner.. did it quit without being noticed?

What's changed? Are they from your flock?

Just trying to help look for clues.. Hopefully someone who incubates waterfowl can give more feedback.. I wonder about @Miss Lydia or @WVduckchick. TIA :fl

I can Only go by my experience
I had set 6 duck eggs my first time hatching
I didn’t realize incubating from a new layer would Mean eggs were on the small end
59- 68 grams
Out of the 6 eggs 4 needed assistance
1 wrong end
1 external pip outside the air cell but couldn’t hatch himself
1 external pip outside the air cell under the egg
1 internal pip but couldn’t make external as it was stuck and couldn’t move to pip
The two bigger of the 6 hatched as they should
I realized smaller eggs give much less room to move to hatch
Now I only incubate over 70 grams
And since then have not had issues
So that could be the issue ( smaller eggs )
The second possibility I don’t go by the book when doing lockdown
I go by my eggs
Rocking , air cell dropping fast and shadowing pushing on air cell is when I start lockdown
I have had babies hatch day 24-30
That’s why I go by the eggs
If you continue to turn an egg that’s trying to get into proper hatch position baby will get confused and end up in the wrong spot
Bators can give warm and cool spots and cause speeds and delays in hatching so lockdown could vary a little. Hope that helps

Congrats on your babies! :celebrate

So ALL of my (hatching) experience is with chickens and so is the referenece link I'm sharing.. I do believe some things may extrapolate across species with regards to incubation anamalies possibly varrying on what day they might occur etc..

Possible causes of sticky chick and malposition are seen starting on page 53..

https://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guideen__053407700_1525_26062017.pdf

I notice high humidity being a significant possibility.. with chicks, too high of humidity can allow (small air cells) to much room for the embryo to grow allowing it to get too large to turn into position for hatching.

Since you usually hatch goslings you should have your hiumdity all figured out, (were you using calibrated stuff, or just plugged in under old paramteres without verifying accuracy is still valid?).. Begs the next question.. if using an auto turner.. did it quit without being noticed?

What's changed? Are they from your flock?

Just trying to help look for clues.. Hopefully someone who incubates waterfowl can give more feedback.. I wonder about @Miss Lydia or @WVduckchick. TIA :fl
I did calibrate at the beginning of the year and I use a brinsea octagon and I hand turn (only my goose eggs, auto turn chicken) these eggs are from the my same goose from the last three years of hatching. All egg were roughly 190g before incubation and less than 6 days old. The only thing I can come up with is that during the power outage (12 hours) I had to move the incubator to accommodate the generator and maybe that was enough to throw they off. I guess if I have malpositioned goslings this next hatch I will have to reevaluate further.

Back
Top Bottom