Make a Candler Project. I'll show U what I do.

marathonmultiplesmom

Songster
9 Years
Mar 23, 2010
Chehalis, WA
Ok, I've got eggs pipping right now and need to occupy myself so I am going to share with y'all how I made my egg candler. It works extremely well. I have 2 size attachments. One is for chicken eggs and one is for goose eggs but you can make it to any size.

What I used:

$10 flashlight from wal-greens. Its the 17-LED and its great because it has a bright light with low heat.
childrens foam blocks. You can see mine are pre-loved (chewed) LOL... but whatever works.
cardboard
tape
exacto knife or box cutter

Here are the blocks that I have that fit perfectly. They are soft foam.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.h...bgcom-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

Here they are at toysrus. I think they now come in that wood grain look but mine are several years old.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3207529

Ok, now here is my flashlight and blocks
June2010074.jpg

Now, this is so easy. Just stick your flashlight into the hole
June2010077.jpg

Now you have a goose-egg candler
June2010075.jpg

To make a chicken egg candler, take a small piece of cardboard and cut out the size of the square block. Now take a coin (I think I used a quarter or nickel, can't remember) and use the coin to trace a circle in the center of the cardboard square. Then cut it out with the exacto knife or box cutter and tape it onto one side of the block. Then stick your flashlight in the other end. Now your candler is ready for a chicken size egg. You can do the same thing using a smaller coin like a dime or penny to candle bantem, quail or small eggs. Here is my chicken-egg size candler. I recycled a purple cardboard from a fan box which is why it matches my block and says fan on it. (don't mind my messy desk!)
June2010076.jpg

Ok, hope you enjoyed this method of making a candler. It works very well because the blocks are soft so its gentle on the eggs and it also hugs the flashlight so snugly that no light is lost out the sides. If you can't reason spending the money on these blocks for this purpose, just keep in mind you might have a toddler somewhere in the family to give the rest of the blocks to at christmas time.
lol.png

Aint you clever!
clap.gif

I'm gunna copy yer idea so I can candle some eggs with my granchickie next week.

THANKS!!!

Fergot to ask..........

How'd the pipping go?

Last edited:
I've got 4 eggs pipped out of 39. Its not officially 'day 21' until 11pm but I hear them chirping and see some pipping. Still keeping occupied! I've now moved on to baking bread
wink.png

Quote:
Bein's I haven't incubated eggs, I'm gatherin', since ya moved on to bakin' bread, that its a bit nerve rackin' to wait for the arrivals
jumpy.gif

I have a broody hen sittin' on 6 eggs right now. Not sure exactly when hatch day is....sometime next week I think.
If this hatch doesnt work out I think I'll use an incubator, maybe, I think.
lol.png

But havin' a window to watch would be a tuffy for me to get any chores done!
big_smile.png

Gunna keep everyone updated on the pipping?
I'd sure like to know how ya fair.

Yes, I'll be updating but on this thread that I already started for them:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4373457#p4373457

I'm going to put up pictures as I go.

LOL, yes a bit nerve wracking.
I'm not the most patient person. Once I prayed for patience and got twins then I prayed for patience a couple years later and had another baby.
I'm not ready for any more patience right now.

Quote:
lau.gif
I been told ya gotta think hard about what ya pray for!
lau.gif

God has a sense of humor that makes prayin' an adventure!
wink.png

Thanks for the link to the pipping and hatching event.
Its fun to read all the threads, WOW, there's so much goin' on in the chickadoodleworld!

Keene's coop : me and my grandpa just used an old coffee can with the lid and foil under the lid and just cut a hole in the middle. worked great.

Another great idea! I like free/cheap inventions. THANKS​

Back
Top Bottom