Make chicks "unimprint" on you?

estheramelia

In the Brooder
Jan 28, 2016
HI
Say that I have raised chickens from the egg. I teach them how to eat their chick starter, I cuddle with them, play with them, etc. The thing is, you never know about hatching eggs so I'm going to buy more than I need. If I get too many I have to let some go. If I stop playing with a baby chick when it's about one week old, would it completely stop imprinting on me when it's, say. about 3 months old? Any help is appreciated!

PS, I'm asking this again so I can get more of a diversity of answers.

Not a concern. As chicks mature and become self confident, independent entities, they will automatically become less interested in their humans. Unless treats are involved. That will rekindle their interest.

Say that I have raised chickens from the egg. I teach them how to eat their chick starter, I cuddle with them, play with them, etc. The thing is, you never know about hatching eggs so I'm going to buy more than I need. If I get too many I have to let some go. If I stop playing with a baby chick when it's about one week old, would it completely stop imprinting on me when it's, say. about 3 months old? Any help is appreciated!

PS, I'm asking this again so I can get more of a diversity of answers.

Hello esthermelia,
Chickens do not imprint as strongly as ducks or geese and will become quite independent by the time they are grown pullets. My girls never fail to come running to me though when they spot me even if I have no treats to offer them. I can call to them and even handle them to some extent without ruffling any feathers.

Back
Top Bottom